Longtime SDA-2 owner checking in...

No real question here, just the first post to say hello.

I've worked for a major Wall Street firm for 30 years now. In 1989 or 1990, I had read a favorable review on SDA-2 in a couple of audio magazines. I was in my 20s and didn't have a lot of money, but figured I'd listen to them anyway.

I dropped by Sound Company in Encinitas, CA to check out the SDA-2's and I was hooked. Even though I could barely afford them, as they were quite expensive, I purchased them on the spot.

And I've had them ever since. Now, 30 years later, they still look fantastic and sound fantastic. I used to drive them through some pretty high-end Threshold equipment, but now I use a tiny Denon integrated amp that's surprisingly good at driving difficult impedance loads, such as the SDA-2 speakers.

I've read a number of posts stating that after a certain point, the crossovers and capacitors are shot. While my hearing probably isn't as good as it was in my 20's, boy these things sure sound great to my ears.

From what I can tell, I don't think a lot of the newer speakers compare. They are suburb speakers.

Well, that's all I've got. Just checking in, saying hello, and sharing my long experience with my Polk SDA-2 speakers.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Welcome to Club Polk and thanks for sharing your story.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    You sure didn't fall into the rabbit hole at all. Good for you. B)

There's a couple guys here on the forum that rebuild Polk cross-overs and do a fine job of it too!

Welcome.

Can you tell us some stories from down on wall st. ?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • stockjock
    stockjock Posts: 2
    Tony M wrote: »
    You sure didn't fall into the rabbit hole at all. Good for you. B)

There's a couple guys here on the forum that rebuild Polk cross-overs and do a fine job of it too!

Welcome.

Can you tell us some stories from down on wall st. ?

Well, I work and live in San Diego, but did my training (broker and then management) on Wall Street out of the South Tower of the World Trade Center, back when.

I can't answer specific stock questions, but always glad to take a crack at generic questions.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I bought the SDA-2 back in 88/89. Yes, they sounded great, but speaker technology, like everything else, moves on.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    But SDA is timeless.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    F1nut wrote: »
    But SDA is timeless.

The idea might be timeless, but the technology and the parts certainly aren’t.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    SDA is the technology. You haven't heard a fully upgraded pair of 5th generation either.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    SDA is the technology. You haven't heard a fully upgraded pair of 5th generation either.

True, but that’s because it isn’t for sale. SDA is an idea. How it is implemented is based on the technology at the time.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    It wouldn't be implemented differently today.

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    It wouldn't be implemented differently today.

Okay, but it would be interesting to find out.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Welcome to the Club.