Illinois, who's leaving?

Options
Lived here all my life and have to wait for girlfriend to retire in 7 long years. My friend and me have had enough of this state. His 2500 sq. ft. home is 9k a year in taxes and he just bought 10 acres outside of Nashville. With his new home yet to be built, his taxes will be about 1k a year. I know things can change for the worst in other states but our state is out of control. Anyone else here have future plans to leave? I've spoken to several people in the last few weeks who are leaving too.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    heh, our real estate taxes are considerably higher than $9k -- but we do have nearly 10 acres and no state income tax nor sales tax.

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    What state?

Confusion.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    I'm moving to Belize...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Lived here all my life and have to wait for girlfriend to retire in 7 long years. My friend and me have had enough of this state. His 2500 sq. ft. home is 9k a year in taxes and he just bought 10 acres outside of Nashville. With his new home yet to be built, his taxes will be about 1k a year. I know things can change for the worst in other states but our state is out of control. Anyone else here have future plans to leave? I've spoken to several people in the last few weeks who are leaving too.

I have a lot of family that still live in Illinois and bemoan the high taxes all the time. Certainly a common theme to leave the high tax states and retire to places that are more tax friendly. Some states, IIRC, do not even tax your pension! I believe Tennessee is one of em.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • polrbehr
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I feel your pain @charley95, I've got about 2200 finished sq ft on a little over 1/3 acre,
    and I'm just shy of $8k a year; and I'm fortunate it's not higher. The price we pay to be >30 minutes away from 2 bays, a sound, and an ocean I guess.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    I'm out in 5 yrs. when i retire. Taxes are only a small part of the problem.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,002
    Options
    Try living in New York State. If cuomo could tax the air we breathe,he would.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    When I move next time I'm moving to Heaven. 👼 Sing me Away. 🎶 🎶
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    I think like every minute 7 people leave the state permanently. Instead if addressing the overwhelming cost of the city and state workforces, the corrupt political machine continues to pass the waste and fraud on to the taxpayers. Pull up the numbers and size of the state if the state workforce alone....then throw in the city governments. Plus the weather sucks 8 months out of the year, and the roads are under construction year round. We will never move back. Never.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited July 2019
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I think like every minute 7 people leave the state permanently. Instead if addressing the overwhelming cost of the city and state workforces, the corrupt political machine continues to pass the waste and fraud on to the taxpayers. Pull up the numbers and size of the state if the state workforce alone....then throw in the city governments. Plus the weather sucks 8 months out of the year, and the roads are under construction year round. We will never move back. Never.

Always the same roads too.

I plan on moving when my in-laws pass. They are older and a bit frail so they need someone close by. Can't just leave them.

Like Kev said, taxes are just one thing that chase people away. If you want to live on a waterfront anywhere even close to Chicago, your taxes are going to be 15-20k for a small house. 30-45K for a nice house on the water. This is just lake houses, not including Lake Michigan. My taxes for a 2400 sq.ft. house are about 8200, and I live 60 miles NW of the city in the cheapest county of the NW burbs.

Thinking the Carolinas somewhere, better year round weather, and close to the ocean. If I had big coin, it would be on the beach in Carmel California. Place is like a little slice of heaven.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    I know a few people that are planning on leaving in the next 1-2 years.

• tonyb
    Options
    I was planning on moving in with Russ, and he ups and goes to Iowa. What the heck Russ ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Ohio's cost of living is reasonable imo. We have a 3,000 sq/ft home and taxes are under 5k yr. Live in a township, so no city taxes either.
  • tonyb
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I'm moving to Belize...
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I'm moving to Belize...

lol....probably one of the more stable countries in that area, and great for snorkeling if that's your thing. However, the crime there is off the hook, as with most countries down there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Hey Charlie, where do ya live brotha, what suburb ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Ohio's cost of living is reasonable imo. We have a 3,000 sq/ft home and taxes are under 5k yr. Live in a township, so no city taxes either.

I agree but I live in Hilliard, Oh school district. My property taxes are 5k year on on a 1800sf home. But the schools are excellent. My kids are grown buy I stay as my property values have exploded of recent.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • deronb1
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »

I agree but I live in Hilliard, Oh school district. My property taxes are 5k year on on a 1800sf home. But the schools are excellent. My kids are grown buy I stay as my property values have exploded of recent.

Hilliard is a top notch district. It varies for sure around the state. Hope they figure out a better way to fund schools tho. That said, teacher salaries are much higher in Ohio than many other states, comparitive to cost of living. Indiana sucks for pay.
  • charley95
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Peoria. I'm thinking S.Carolina or Georgia, somewhat close to the coast too. I'm one of the few who loves hot weather. Tony, you don't want California just because it's worse than Illinois as far as cost of living and other ridiculous things I won't mention.
  • deronb1
    Options
    We are looking at NW Georgia in 10 years or so. Will still get chilly, but nothing like Ohio. Reasonable cost of living and only about 7 hrs drive from family here.
  • tonyb
    Options

Peoria. I'm thinking S.Carolina or Georgia, somewhat close to the coast too. I'm one of the few who loves hot weather. Tony, you don't want California just because it's worse than Illinois as far as cost of living and other ridiculous things I won't mention.

I hear ya man, but I said if I had the coin....if you could afford to live on the ocean in Carmel, cost of living isn't a concern to you. :)

Peoria should be cheap, no ? Least a lot more so than the closer you get to the metro area.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    I hear that Tony. If money wasn't a concern at all, I'd probably be living in a beach house somewhere in La Jolla. What a gorgeous place that is.

2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • polrbehr
    Options
    TEAforONE wrote: »

+1,000. Then for good measure throw in 2-dollar Bill in NYC and between them they could screw up a one-car funeral.

Check around this website - https://www.seethroughny.net/
    Tells you all you don't want to know about public costs and salaries in the Empire State. Any other states out there have something similar?

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    The last time I left Illinois, I woke up the next day in Tahiti. :o
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Illinois was where I grew up (farming), I still consider it "home". Chicago and east St. Louis royally screw Illinois as most of it is rural. I still have family that lives there and they bemoan it 99% of the time...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited July 2019
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    TEAforONE wrote: »

+1,000. Then for good measure throw in 2-dollar Bill in NYC and between them they could screw up a one-car funeral.

Check around this website - https://www.seethroughny.net/
    Tells you all you don't want to know about public costs and salaries in the Empire State. Any other states out there have something similar?

That info is MIND BOGGLING! :o

Seeing how many state paid people are given HUGE! paychecks is evidence why a lot of people don't give a damn about Gov. national debt and how to get it back to zero.

And this is just NY. !!!

I can see why Cancer Research will NEVER end.

Same as alcohol will NEVER be banned.

There's too many people making 300K to 800K a year paychecks off of just these two topics.

Then there's the Transportation division, etc. etc. etc.

Also, why is OUR Gov. giving money to a NY university to help them with their DORMATORY issues????!

GMAFB.

No wonder our nation debt is out of control and nobody on the hill cares about it. :'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • charley95
    Options
    But wait, uncle Joe is going to cure cancer! :D
  • charley95
    Options

I hear ya man, but I said if I had the coin....if you could afford to live on the ocean in Carmel, cost of living isn't a concern to you. :)

Peoria should be cheap, no ? Least a lot more so than the closer you get to the metro area.

Property taxes aren't quite as bad as the Chicagoland area but still pretty steep. The outlying communities taxes are even more. Our city roads are shot and with Cat moving their headquarters up north didn't help either. The new CEO's wife wanted to be closer to Lord and Taylor.
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    Options
    I understand why some people want to leave and “leavers” definitely get the headlines, and Illinois has loads of problems. This might be a less common thing to hear, but I like the Midwest and I like living near a big city, so no plans to leave. I would consider leaving, never really been “attached” to where I live, but I’ve never been anyplace that made me say “I’d rather live here” (with all real world considerations taken into account). Every place has pros and cons, just need to find the set that fit you best.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2019
    Options
    ^^ I agree I really like Columbus, Ohio and will be here for awhile in the Midwest myself. Hate the winter but for the most part winters aren't as severe as 40 years ago.

Where I come from originally most people aspire to retire in a doublewide in FL, AKA the ghetto CA.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.