TSi400 vs Signature S55

BeeDub
BeeDub Posts: 8
Hey all -- from the information I received from y'all last time I posted, I have narrowed my speaker search down to 2 -- the TSi400 and Signature S55. I am relatively new to HT hobby, so I am not going crazy all-out on this system as it's my first.

Right now, I am running a Yamaha rx-v581 receiver, which is powering some vintage Sony fronts, JBL 520M surrounds, a Polk TSx150 center, and a Polk PSW10 subwoofer. I know the Yamaha is under-powered (80 watts/channel) and doesn't have a pre-out for an additional amp, but for right now it will have to do. But the old Sony fronts have got to go!

I run my system as 70/30 HT to music. My 2 questions are -- 1) Is it worth the additional money for the S55 towers? In this particular set-up, will I notice a significant difference?; and 2) Will my Yamaha be able to adequately power either sets of towers in this setup? I keep a steady hand on the volume, so I am not looking for wall-shaking noise. Rather, I am more interested in the quality of sound I am hearing. When both of my kids graduate from college in the next few years, I will be able to afford an upgrade to the receiver!!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    If the system is primarily for HT, why not upgrade the center channel instead? You'll notice a bigger difference there I would presume.
  • BeeDub
    BeeDub Posts: 8
    Thanks Clipdat! Never thought of that before, but I guess it would help. My only concern is that I am missing out on some of the experience since my fronts are not timbre matched with my center? Also, for listening to music, the vintage Sonys are okay now, but I would like to replace them to get a better sound for both HT and music.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    honestly, go used. The sigs are nice, but a front soundstage of rt35i or 55i and a cs400i is going to sound awesome, and will be WAY cheaper. I haven't heard the sig series in a good setup, but I was not impressed with the TSi series. You just get a LOT more bang for your buck going used, and the vintage of RTi series was pretty awesome.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    honestly, go used. The sigs are nice, but a front soundstage of rt35i or 55i and a cs400i is going to sound awesome, and will be WAY cheaper. I haven't heard the sig series in a good setup, but I was not impressed with the TSi series. You just get a LOT more bang for your buck going used, and the vintage of RTi series was pretty awesome.

I have to agree with this, go used for now. I had RT800i's fronts and a CS400i center and loved it for HT. Didn't play much music on that system, but what I did, still sounded good. If you can find them, or the other speakers rooftop mentioned, grab them.

Where are you located?