SDA 2B amplifier options

Options
Navy_Goat
Navy_Goat Posts: 375
edited July 2019 in Speakers
EDIT: I see that I open this discussion in the wrong area, not a great start here... I already opened another discussion in the "Vintage" area, can a moderator delete or close and archive this thread?

I am new to this Forum, and Polk speakers. Thus far I have really enjoyed reading about other folks experiences and recommendations. I have a set of SDA 2B vintage Polk speakers which I would like to set up in the living room as a 2.1 system (SVS SB13Ultra as the .1).

My current set up is 3.1 from Bic America, 2x DV64 R/L and DV62CLR-S center. I am driving the Bic's with a Sony STR-DN850 and they sound good. Plenty of power. The SVS has no problem keeping up and overall I have been happy with this set up for 5 or more years. I also have a set matching bookshelf speakers that I dont bother setting up anymore.

I am not going to bother trying to find a way to keep the cener channel as that seems to add quite a bit of cost. My options are:

1. Hook up the SDA to the Sony integrated amplifier and hope for the best (doubtful, I don't think it would last long)
2. I have an old HK AVR-75 sitting in a closet somewhere, it has pre-out connections. I can use this with a crown XLR1000 available for my local Guitar Center for 289 + tax.
3. Use the HK with a CL sourced amplifier (2 x used Adcom GFA-555 available for 375ish)
4. Look for a preamp and amplifier on CL.

Obviously I am looking to maximize my cost/benefit for this whole setup. I would not be willing to put more than 400 in to the system right now, but over time I may upgrade if the need exists. I am leaning toward option 2 at this point because I like the added piece of mind that buying new would provide. I would hate to pick up one on those Adcoms just to find out they overheat after ten min....

I am not sure what other information would help you help me. Thanks for reading,

Looking forward to any and all input. What is right/wrong with my thought process?
SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
Post edited by Navy_Goat on