AMp questions!!!!!!!!!!

n_le711
n_le711 Posts: 2
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello i have 2 12 inch polk momo subwoofers the 800 Watt peak subs.
And i would like to find a good amp that would give these subs about 250-300 Watts each. How much wattage would an amp give each sub if i bought an amp that when bridged gave 500 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms?

i was thinking a rockford fostgate amp...does anyone have suggestions for other brands?

Thanks
Post edited by n_le711 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    you want an amp that does 600-800 watts x1@2 ohms
    rockford fosgate, mtx, hifonics are some of the main ones
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Those subs are rated at 400 rms and my general rule of thumb is that you need to power a speaker with what its rated to handle. You can go a little over or a little under but not too far in either direction. Too little and youll be underpowering the speaker and it wont perform to its best ability. Too much and youll smoke it!

That being said I recommend this MTX model. It will feed 400 rms to each sub with plenty of headroom. MTX are just about my favorite amps. They dont have nearly the respect that an Xtant or PPI would have and may not have all the fancy features or electronics but they cost half as much and put out twice the power and sound just as good! They are also ridiculously overbuilt and can take more punishment than virtually any amp on the market. I would go as far as saying that MTX are probably the best built amps you can get. At $500 its not a bad deal for that much solid, clean, reliable power.

(Oh and by the way, MTX is the company that makes Xtant!! ;) )
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • n_le711
    n_le711 Posts: 2
    edited May 2004
    thanks for the help...one more question...is Kenwood any good with amps?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    their eXcelon amps are pretty good--ive never dealt with their regular line though
    kenwood is a good brand none the less
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    Basically all the major name brands are going to make good stuff. All of them will have good clean power and be well built. I have always thought that all major brand amps pretty much sound alike and have picked my amps by build quality, features and power. To date Ive ran a bunch of Coustics which worked great and some of the old Precision Power PCX amps which were phenomenal. Im now running Alpine which sound great but really lack in power so Im desperately looking to upgrade to a more powerful amp like the MTX Thunder 502.

I prefer amps that double their power at 2 ohms rather than just add a little more. The amps that double their power have a lot more headroom and will not be working as hard at the 4 ohms Im going to be running them at. Also it means that frequency spikes like percussion will be presented with more oomph. Thats why I like MTX and RF. Both are very well built and have warehouses of output. I really like my Alpines but the 4 ohm power is 40x4 and the 2 ohm rating is 50x4. As you can see there is not a lot of wiggle room and this thing runs out of power pretty quickly.

So from that perspective, my favorite amps are MTX, RF, Orion, Kicker, JL Audio and Phoenix Gold. All are overbuilt to withstand punishment and provide plenty of power.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D