Refurbishing 7C

I have a great pair of 7c's purchased in 1986/7 . They sound good but I think they are due for a crossover rebuild. Exactly where can I get all the capacitors etc. for doing the rebuild.
I figure I would start there before changing the tweeters. Any tips or advice is appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
Nakamichi 480
Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Nakamichi zx-7
Technics sl-1200
Polk Monitor 7c
Mission 700

Comments

• CH46ECH46E Posts: 1,029
    Try Parts Connexion
    Parts Express
    Sonic Caps

Just to name a few I have used.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,971
    Sonic Craft who makes and sells Sonicap capacitors.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• wbrokow1wbrokow1 Posts: 16
    thanks
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    Ok I took a look at the capacitors inside the unit and they are original. The capacitance rating is not visible without desoldering and inspecting. Is there a parts list that I could get to buy the caps first before taking it apart or do these values vary from speaker to speaker and I have to pull them out first. Thanks
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    edited July 12
    The schematics are listed at the top of the page. Replace the resistors as well.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,333
    This should be the correct schematic for the 7C with the SL2000 tweeter.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021930/uploads/attachments/4/6/7/2/8/18773.pdf
    None of those sources have a 34 microfarad electrolytic capacitor or a 2.0 ohm 5w resistor. Not even Digi-key. 33 yes , 2.2 or 1.8 ohm yes. Anyone think it will matter if I substitute?
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    Forget electrolytic caps, upgrade to film and foil. Sonic Craft has everything you need.

ok so I went to sonic craft. filled my cart. Looks good?vjbqljl474np.png
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    It's a good idea to replace the original 5 watt resistors with either the 10 or 12 watt Mills versions. Sorry, I didn't mention that earlier.

Most also remove the polyswitch & replace with a 0.5ohm resistor. Not sure if you can just get a 2.5 ohm resistor & jump the polyswitch spot on the board or if you need and actual resistor in that spot. I'll defer to someone more knowledgeable than me.
    Good point DaveHo.

Yes, remove and jump the poly, then use this resistor to replace the original 2 ohm. http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/25-ohm-vishay-mills-mra-12-p-4634

thanks
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    You're welcome.

So your saying remove the fuse and jump it?c6peyf5j2c67.jpg
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    Odd, I didn't think the 7c had fuses. Can you post a pic of the drivers, front and back, to make sure we're on the same page?
    Ok here
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    y8uw411sxol9.jpg
    6y380bzxmtoq.jpg
    q3txjh9tgfs1.jpg
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    The manufacturing date stamped on the crossover is 5/18/84
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    edited July 12
    Those are not 7C's. You should pull a crossover to check the component values before ordering anything.

This is a 7C.

o40qncjnot00.jpg

Yes they are. I purchased them from The listening Room in scarsdale NY brand new in box. ~7 hundred dollars. I personally opened the factory sealed polk audio box myself.
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    I just checked the drawing for the original 7c and all values for components match exactly.
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    I can read the model 7C on the binding post plate, but I'm telling you those are not what are considered to be 7C's.

Look closely at the original drawing. The original 7c had a fuse and was removed. The resistor was changed from 2.7 ohms to 2 ohms. capacitor values match exactly. So mine is probably a very short run of orignial 7c's . You're probably used to seeing the other revisions. So yeah it is a 7c.
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    I'll give you that yours is likely a transitional model, but note the schematic is dated 6 months after your production date.

Yes I see that. Basically they started with my version and then as the revision block on the drawing says changes were made on 7/1 to the resistors and fuses. Then the engineering drawing was released on 11/26/84 for the next production run. So mine is and official 7c and all that followed are revised ones. The facts are on the drawing.
    So I win LOL. It's to bad you guys don't have an original haha.
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,425
    So what did you win...I want to see the prize
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
    Nothing just goofing around. Thanks for your help , F1nut, really. Back to my original question. So my capacitor and resistor choice are good?
    Thanks for any input.
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700
    You should check what the component values are on your crossover first.

Ok thanks
    Onkyo TX-6000 (2)
    Nakamichi 480
    Nakamichi zx-7
    Technics sl-1200
    Polk Monitor 7c
    Mission 700