New Polk Speakers Question

Hello Everyone! I have a question regarding my setup and want to get some input. I currently have an Onkyo TX-SR607 in my living room with Polk RM6750 speakers and have enjoyed it for both movies and music.

We recently finished our basement and I picked up an Onkyo TX-NR686 (probably more than I need, but got it for a great deal so picked it up) and paired it with the two RTiA3's and a CSiA4 for the center channel (no sub yet). After getting things up and running, I'm having trouble deciding if I like the sound of this specific setup (sounds tinny, a lot of treble, some bass, but seems like something is missing in the middle). I think my current RM6750's are a little bright, but I don't really notice it and I'm trying to figure out if the sub helps compensate for that. Whenever turning on music downstairs in the new setup, I just want to go upstairs and listen instead. I've tried messing with the bass, treble, and the EQ on the Onkyo but can't seem to get the sound I'm looking for. Wanted to see if anyone has any other ideas before deciding to return these speakers. I've posted on another forum and I've been told that if I don't like them now, that probably won't change, but wanted to get thoughts from those who may have a lot of experience with Polk products.

Sorry for the long description, but thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Welcome to the forum! A good friend had a very similar 6750 setup, and all I can say is if you are disappointing going to the A3s then something is amiss in that new setup. Are the straps connecting the binding posts on the speakers? Are they set to large, no sub in the menu? If all that is right and you are still disappointed, I would suggest trading in your receiver first, as those Onkyo's are pretty mediocre for music. A marantz will be much warmer sounding and blend better with the polks. The other suggestion would be to get the Polk S20s instead, as they are warmer sounding. The A3s have pretty decent bass, and while they are forward and a little bright sounding, with a good receiver or amp they should DESTROY that 6750 setup...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mattb2003
    mattb2003 Posts: 5
    Thank you for the input! Seems like I have a few things I can check on first. The straps are there and are connected. I do have the setup set to no sub and it shows just the three speakers on receiver. I'll check the other settings on the Onkyo - unfortunately I'm out of the return window for the receiver (I bought it while it was on sale but didn't set it up until this week so outside the 2 week return window), but I'll see what options I have. I'd been happy with my current receiver so figured I would stick with Onkyo.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help!
  • rooftop59
    Make sure the speakers are set to large (no crossover). Turn off the eq. Better yet, if you have a “pure direct” or “stereo direct” mode use that, as hat should run them full range with no eq automatically.

The RTis are a bit bright and forward, but the 3s have respectable bass for a bookshelf speaker. Honesty, properly driven (with a separate amp for instance) they should have about as much bass as your little sub, which is more like a mid bass module since it puts out nothing l below 40hz. But, with an entry/mid level receiver, the RTis can sound bright or trebly have you. Adding a will help some, but you might be happier with the s20s...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mattb2003
    Ok, I found the option you are talking about. The right and left were set to large, but the center was set to 80 Hz, so I set that to large as well (Onkyo calls it full). I also turned off all audio processing (they have a mode called “Direct”) and it sounds better already! Still a little bright, but much better than it was. Going to try this out for a while to see how it goes. Thank you again for the help, I really appreciate it!
  • rooftop59
    Your welcome! They will always sound a little bright tbh, but save up for a nice little sub from HSU or SVS and cross over back at 80 and that will balance things out quite a bit...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mattb2003
    Thanks again for the help! By the way, as a test, I brought my RM6750’s and the sub down to compare. They sounded pretty much as bright as the new RTiA3’s, which has me thinking that it’s either the receiver (that you mentioned above) and/or my room acoustics. I’m beginning to think it’s a little bit of both, and now that I’m paying attention to it, there is an echo when talking in our new space (it’s carpeted, has a couch and a bed, but still quite a bit of echo). I’m sure that is probably making a big difference. Without spending a lot of money, not sure there are easy ways to mitigate that.
  • rooftop59
    You could try hanging a comforter on the wall and see if that helps. If so, you can make a sound panel from 2x4s, plywood and material from Joann’s for pretty cheap...that might help with the echo.

There was a thread here on diy sound panels here. Get ur search on...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • mattb2003
    Will check that out, thanks!