Help ISSUES with one of the speakers POLK RTI A7s

daoki
daoki Posts: 32
edited June 2019 in Speakers
Hey guys, I’m pretty new to the forum. So any advice is helpful and much appreciated. I have a pair of Polk audio RTI a7s running together with a Yamaha PC2002M power amp and Yamaha c2x preamp. Been using this setup for the past 6 months everything working fine. Just recently moved house had the speakers on the truck tied down firmly and covered up properly. Moved into the new house setup my speakers and unfortunately one of the speakers has lost its mid range and tweeter sounds. The other speaker is working fine no issues. I thought it was possibly a issue with the power amp so I switched the speakers around checked all wiring setup to pre amp as well but still the same issue with the one speaker not producing any sound from the mid range and tweeter the two sub woofer drivers on the speaker are producing sound and working. There was no physical damage on the front grill and the actual drivers themself or around the outside of the speakers. Is it possible something could of been knocked inside and come loose? And is it a easy fix? Possible taking out the mid range and tweeter driver to inspect or solder any loose wires? Any help would be much appreciated, so shattered can’t even listen to my babies in my new house. ;( :(:(

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    So?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Welcome
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • daoki
    Sorry guys I just updated the thread
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    A few wires probably fell off. Pull the non-working ones to check.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    daoki wrote: »
    Sorry guys I just updated the thread

Makes more sense now that there is more than the first sentence.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daoki
    F1nut wrote: »
    A few wires probably fell off. Pull the non-working ones to check.

I haven’t actually started taking any of the unresponsive drivers out yet but once I do and if they have fallen off as you mentioned are they as easy as just connecting them again or would solder work be needed ? And would I be able to clearly see where they would be connected. I’m a Noob when it comes to this stuff. I just don’t want to take them out and then look inside to a maze of wires but I’m hoping there easy to connect again.

Cheers

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited June 2019
    No solder needed. The wires use spade connectors that slide right on to the terminals on the rear of the drivers:

295-300_HR_0.jpg

Speaker-Terminal-Connection.jpg

If you find one that's come undone, just slide them back on to the correct polarity spade and reinstall the driver.
  • daoki
    Thanks man. I’m assuming this would be the same for the tweeter as well yeah ?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Yes, I'm fairly certain they have the same style connectors.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    All are connected with Fastons and will slide back on. The + and - are different sizes so you can't screw it up.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Before you open it up, have you confirmed the binding post straps are still in place?
  • daoki
    Cheers guys problem solved was just as easy as sliding the fastons back on. Thanks. Enjoying them right now as I sip on a glass of cognac. ;)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    daoki wrote: »
    Cheers guys problem solved was just as easy as sliding the fastons back on. Thanks. Enjoying them right now as I sip on a glass of cognac. ;)

Great job! Nothing like popping the hood, and finding out that it's a simple fix! Well done! And to the CP members in their usual fashion helping out! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.