Insurance advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited June 2019
    Options
    $4101.21 was the final cost of the repair.

No way to fix the wheel arch and VW only sells the rear quarter panel from the rear door frame to the hatch, so they had to buy the entire piece of sheet metal and cut and paste. IIRC, the replacement panel was $700 or $800. Don't recall what the paint cost, but it was more expensive than I ever would have thought. $300-400?? I don't recall exactly.

They also resprayed the entire side of the door jambs all the way to the front so there were no blending problems. They could have stopped at where they replaced the metal, but a great shop will do what's necessary to ensure 100% unnoticeable work.

I was sick to my stomach, but it went to the best place in town and they did a superb job.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Damn shame that happened to such a nice car. What year is it?
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    I would be so ticked but, when we drive them, things are bound to happen. I got a new OE factory mirror assembly also painted from the factory for 600 shipped. My deduct. was 500 and the labor will be myself and my nephew. So it worked out costing me an extra 100 vs. paying SF the deduct. Expensive mistake on my part but such as life!
  • heiney9
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    I would be so ticked but, when we drive them, things are bound to happen. I got a new OE factory mirror assembly also painted from the factory for 600 shipped. My deduct. was 500 and the labor will be myself and my nephew. So it worked out costing me an extra 100 vs. paying SF the deduct. Expensive mistake on my part but such as life!

Yeah, life happens. Glad you came out ok.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Damn shame that happened to such a nice car. What year is it?

2017 GTi Sport

txeyji6ovnxb.jpg
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Absolutely pay out of pocket. Here is the other thing. Let’s say you do claim it. They will pay it. But then let’s say you get in a real accident soon after, most likely you will get dropped from coverage and have to go with high risk insurance. Which is VERY expensive. That is what happened to me with my home. Made a small but valid claim on my home about 10 years ago. Then had a true big water leak a few months later. I got dropped after that second claim was paid. Had to go with high risk which costed me over $500 a month for the next three years.
    Use insurance very wisely.
    This is my current concern/situation. I had a significant claim about 2 years ago. We had big storms a couple weeks ago, and contractors are having no issues finding hail damage on the roof.

The claim would be nice because it would save some money on fixing the fence the blow down in the storm, but I have a big fear of possibly being dropped at some point.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,513
    Options
    Nice car there!