Inside of AQ.Niagara 5000

Options
So I have been curious (even though there are pics online) to take a peek inside the Audioquest Niagara 5000. So all I needed was a push from @JayCee
Here they are:

7ahltxfchli4.jpeg
ptqy6v8wisyv.jpeg
xfcws9nm0pht.jpeg
cev9p1nc0419.jpeg
4l99ipdx88te.jpeg
3k89sauv253b.jpeg

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Cool pics
    I guess the big question about the pics after following the circuits, and maybe someone much more intelligent than I, is whats in the sealed tube to the right where the HOT filters through
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    That’s definitely a question for someone who is above my pay grade.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Could perhaps be harnessing the power of the bazooka tube to draw out the um, lower mid bass.

Nice and clean guts, good stuff
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Hexafluoriethylene metabolic gas notice the silicone.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Hexafluoriethylene metabolic gas notice the silicone.

Could be an RTV
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • joecoulson
    Options
    So it is for Transient Power Correction:

Our correction circuit bolsters and stabilizes the power supply of any power amplifier by providing a buffer and an instant current reservoir of up to 80 amps peak (20mS).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I see lots of relays and commonly used baluns, which are good devices. I like how they have routed the wires, shows attention to detail.
    Our correction circuit bolsters and stabilizes the power supply of any power amplifier by providing a buffer and an instant current reservoir of up to 80 amps peak (20mS).

Sounds like a bank of capacitors. Well not any amp, my he-man amp is capable of 160 amp peaks, which is why it's plugged into the wall.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Which amp Jesse?
  • F1nut
    Options
    MF kW500

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    Options
    I always wanted a pair of those 700/750 which ever those monos were back in the day. They were monsters from what I remember.

Very nice amp by the way.
  • joecoulson
    Options
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I am very disappointed the power outlets are all connected by just sicking a wire into the little spring loaded holes in the back. If you ever removed a wire from a connection like that you will see it has very little contact area. Just the edge of a thin copper spring digging into the side of the wire. I know it would be more labor to secure them correctly using the screws but at this price level it should be done right.

I always preferred wrapping the wire around one of the screws and cranking it down tight. Has to be better. When I replaced my audio receptacle with a hospital grade one I saw all of the outlets in my house were wired by just sticking the wire into a very cheap plugs. After attaching the hospital receptacle using the screws I reconnected every other receptacle on the line by using the screws. Not sure if it made a difference but knowing the connections are secure lets me sleep better at night.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    They're probably not the shove in compression type connections. The screw still compresses a piece of metal against the wire.
  • F1nut
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    They're probably not the shove in compression type connections. The screw still compresses a piece of metal against the wire.

That's correct. IMO even better and certainly easier than trying to wrap large gauge wire around the screw.

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    I find it interesting that the internal wiring is made by Southwire. https://www.southwire.com/

• F1nut
    Options
    Looks like 12 gauge wire. Are the outlets 20 amp?

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    The 4 on the left designated high current are:

g703NGARA5K-o_other.jpg
  • kharp1
    edited June 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »

That's correct. IMO even better and certainly easier than trying to wrap large gauge wire around the screw.

I agree, unless tinned properly the strands of wire will compress unevenly. Stray strands will often float loosely from underneath the screw, and, will cause uneven compression across the width of the wire. You'd be better off using a spade connector instead of looping the wire around the screw.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Certainly doesn’t look like shove in type. If you’ve ever owned a quality audiophile outlet, then you already know the answer.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Pretty sure those stab in Chinese handcuff like outlets/switches have been out of the market for years. It's been decades since I've seen any new.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Especially in a $4k conditioner.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Thanks for popping the hood Joe! Very interesting. Does look like a quality build.
    This guy's got me intrigued. Ferroelectric Chamber, akin to the Shunyata?
    bwuklwczpbcn.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    I have a similar unit in my Furman pc. I've read that it's a large storage capacitor that's similar to the starting capacitor on the top of large electric motors. It provides short term instantaneous current for high current amps.
  • delkal
    edited June 2019
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Certainly doesn’t look like shove in type. If you’ve ever owned a quality audiophile outlet, then you already know the answer.

That closeup picture clears things up. The connection is OK. The other pictures did have me wondering.

So I was mistaken........Nice dig but why do you assume I never owned a quality audiophile outlet? The Hubbell hospital grade receptacle I used did not have the option to connect like on the power conditioner. Or is this receptacle considered hack and not audiophile?

So maybe I am ignorant. How much do you have to pay to get an audiophile outlet? And are you sure they all have this alternate wiring option?
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    delkal wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

That closeup picture clears things up. The connection is OK. The other pictures did have me wondering.

So I was mistaken........Nice dig but why do you assume I never owned a quality audiophile outlet? The Hubbell hospital grade receptacle I used did not have the option to connect like on the power conditioner. Or is this receptacle considered hack and not audiophile?

So maybe I am ignorant. How much do you have to pay to get an audiophile outlet? And are you sure they all have this alternate wiring option?

I didn’t assume anything. And I believe my Leviton hospital grade outlets that I still use on two of the 3 dedicated lines to my gear hook up the same way. My furutech outlet which is gold plated was around 60 bucks. Expensive but not outrageous.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• kharp1
    Options
    They may very well be stab in type, but, I would seriously doubt that in such a quality piece. I haven't seen those type receptacles in a while. Will occasionally run across them doing rework, but, I never see them come in to the plant or in stores. Though I will admit I don't browse the store shelves much these days.
  • delkal
    Options
    I was mistaken in my first post that it was a spring loaded push in connection and I later admitted it. I never saw a receptacle with that kind of connection and it had me scratching my head. There was never a question the power conditioner was quality and it didn't make sense! Thanks to the people who explained it to me.

I only replaced a few outlets with Hubbell hospital grade receptacles and they did not have that connection option. So while I have only dipped my toes into "semi-audiophile" plugs that connection was not obvious to me. So I guess I didn't know the answer.
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's ok.

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    Options
    Those outlets have a death grip that ripped a ground lug off a 70$ furutech plug. So watch out for that hahaha
    2 channel:
    Theater: