Wilson Audio Cub Version 1

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited June 2019 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
So, I bought these a year ago and have enjoyed my time with them. I used them in my office near field (which sounded incredible) and in my main system (which sounded equally incredible), but now that my Focals are back up and running 98%, I have reached a pointed where I do not really need these. As much as I want to keep them and as much as I have always wanted a pair of Wilson Audio speakers, I simply wont use them enough to justify keeping them.

Please read the entire post if you are interested in these speakers.

So, with that said, for your consideration is a pair of fantastic "monitor" speakers.

Their specs are as follows -
Description: Two-way, reflex-loaded loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" inverted metal-dome tweeter (FOCAL TIOXID), two 6.5" treated-paper cone woofers (SEAS).

Crossover frequency: 1.8kHz. Frequency response: 50Hz–25kHz, ±3dB; 55Hz–22kHz, ±1.5dB. Sensitivity: 94dB/W/m.

Nominal/Minimum Impedance: 4 ohms/2.8 ohms at 400Hz. Recommended minimum amplifier power: 7W.

Dimensions: 22" H by 10" W by 22" D (to nearest inch, including crossover cups). Weight: 75 lbs each.

Finishes: black laminate, standard; painted, add $400; wood veneer, add $640.
Serial numbers of units reviewed: 0131 & 0132 (also 0129, 0130 & 0135 in home theater applications).

Price: $5900/pair (1998); no longer available (2005). Approximate number of dealers: 40.

Manufacturer: Wilson Audio Specialties, Inc., 2233 Mountain Vista Lane, Provo, UT 84606. Tel: (801) 377-2233. Fax: (801) 377-2282. Web: www.wilsonaudio.com.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-specialties-cub-loudspeaker-specifications#LR4opklr9uTIffbL.99

A review can be found here - The review for whatever reason shows a pair of Cub series 2, but the review/specs/etc is for the series 1, as listed here.
https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/498wilson/index.html

My general take away -
These are a pair of highly efficient, 94db speakers which need hardly any power to get moving. They do like current to really draw out their bass response. The 50hz rating, imo, is conservative. There were times when I felt the need for a subwoofer but often times I was extremely surprised. They have plenty of midbass punch and extremely clean bass in what they do. Their imaging is laser sharp.
These are the PAINTED version, not vinyl.
The stands were the recommended stands by Wilson, Wilson did not make stands for these.
  • The grills are secured via allen bolts along the front baffle, ignore anything you read online about how they fall off. They are clueless.

Condition
These speakers are not like new and they are not mint

These speakers are in great condition for their age. With that said, they are not perfect and I tried to photograph everything that I could to capture their condition accurately. The tops show the most wear, but only when you are up close. When right on top of them, you can see little dots in the clear coat that will not buff out with normal polishing, they may come out with wet sanding but I did not try this. There are also some swirl marks in the paint from cleaning over the years.

At a normal distance, they are beautiful. The Wilson gloss paint job is fantastic.

The stands do show some wear but again, are overall in great shape and are extremely stout.

Whats included
Speakers (2), Stands (2), Crates (2), Original Wilson Audio Manual (1), Wilson Tool Kit.

Price
My price is $2k NET (not including any fees/shipping). Payment can be cash, paypal, venmo, facebook payment.

I WILL DELIVER UP TO 3 HOURS ONE WAY for this price. I WILL DELIVER UP TO 6.5 HOURS for $300. I WILL SHIP THEM AT YOUR EXPENSE VIA FREIGHT, estimate this would be around $5-600

Pictures -
y008amkv673x.jpg
695rg3uxbzia.jpg
6s6xigdej2fl.jpg
r5faljnlmetw.jpg
syh2ahq0mnj9.jpg
b4gkoo04awz3.jpg
jvoeb382jufa.jpg
x9exbpzwgmk0.jpg
mjwwirlovin2.jpg
hfssoamrzd0k.jpg
twtoznqeqw16.jpg
z9w4p2kwnsiv.jpg
uk03sd5wz070.jpg
7qfnp4ymcaww.jpg
mhsxap4pixli.jpg
sakm3dem09ml.jpg
s6a4ua5evbt4.jpg
5ijrdzg77iag.jpg
nyxbl9t19jza.jpg
l7r4c5i71i0g.jpg
bayrv5h2gfvc.jpg
588wpddfopgx.jpg
bn92znknxw6o.jpg
9f10qkn6xixp.jpg
liyfgrhmrlbe.jpg
0ugs62dlc5ox.jpg
kxr89ty7r2ez.jpg
e4eks7bb7289.jpg
qo0idi6axelp.jpg
- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• VR3
    These are listed on ebay and us audiomart

Forgot to mention, I am the 2nd owner, they have consecutive serial numbers as a matched pair.

The tweeter foam shows some slight age to it but otherwise is intact.

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Bump
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    FWIW, I have heard these and they do sound surprisingly well. They have a good amount of lower end authority without being one note bass. Overall, a great set of speakers. They look a heck of a lot better in person though. The pic's don't really do them justice.

Them's some ugly *** covers man. That's the first I have seen them. LOL

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited June 2019
    I like the grills personally, they look better in person, it is the most transparent grill material available according to David Wilson 😜

I am currently working in the office, so if they are not sold by the time I'm done I might just keep them, haha
  • VR3
    Club Polk price drop $1950 and as always, I will accept trades. 2 channel amps, 2 channel preamp, speakers. Can exceed the value of the speakers.

No tube gear, dacs, CD players, subwoofers
  • VR3
    Bump, $1900
  • TheRak
    TheRak Posts: 1
    Are these still available?
  • VR3
    No these have sold

Thank you