Teac AI 3000 Monster Amp

erniejade
erniejade Posts: 6,288
edited June 2019 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185092/teac-ai3000-integrated/p1

I picked this amp up from above. I did not think I would sell it but, I am out of room and do not have room to store this unit. I will be asking slightly more then what I paid for it. When the unit arrived, the volume would not work when using the remote. Worked fine manually but not on the remote. When I talked to the seller about it, he said he didn't use the remote since the integrated was close to him and just reached over and turned it up and down like that. I brought it to Deltronics in Woodridge IL and they replaced the volume motor $150. When I talked to Jaybeez about it, he offered to pay for the full repair ( stand up guy and would recommend to anyone) but, I said just do 1/2. When I bought the unit, we split the shipping so I thought it was fair to split the repair cost. Again, Jaybeez is a stand up person and I would not hesitate to do business or recommend him to anyone here. While Deltronics had the unit, they did give it a good once over and it came back with a clean bill of health.

Onto this monster of an integrated. It has a wonderful and clean sound. Fast, very revealing sound. It will show you shortcomings of your source if not up to snuff. Very neutral. I do not think it is bright or dark. It is right in the middle without sounding analytical. Transients are fast as well without sounding strained. There was no type of music this unit didn't shine on. I did not test this unit's XLR inputs or outputs and I did not check Phono inputs. On paper the phono stage looks above average. Discrete Dual Monaural Analog Amplifier Circuits. SDA users will need an A1 cable. 7 analog audio inputs, including 2 balanced audio inputs, PHONO input, and line inputs for CD, Tuner, AUX and Bypass. 2 pairs of speaker terminals as well.

If you are putting this in a rack, please make sure it can handle 70+ lbs AND it has enough clearance for the 9+" It does have one scratch on top of it and I put that on there trying to put it in my rack.

If this unit sounds so good, why are you selling it? Around the same time I picked up the T+A integrated from Skip. Are the 2 amps on the same playing field? YES. 1000000000% YES. The T+A is very polite, a bit darker / bass sounding with a deep ( front to back) soundstage. The Teac is more lively, neutral ( not dark and not bright) and a much wider ( left and right) soundstage vs the T+A. The 2 sound very different from each other. Since my room is small for the monster Tyler speakers, I really debated on keeping the Teac and selling the T+A but, the T+A has 2 things the Teac does not. Both are very un-audiophile of the hobby. 1, Loudness button and 2, Tone controls. The loudness button has gotten quite a bit of use from me way before I started having hearing problems and got Shingles in my ear ( still recovering from and sound is not back to normal yet ). There is a lot of older music I enjoy that was not mastered good from Led Zep down to Chicago. Take Chicago's II. One of my fave Chicago records but, even the SACD version needs some help. Hit the loudness button and it makes it much more listenable. Take led zeppelin when the levee breaks, it can be a bit harsh and flat but hit the loudness button and it comes to life. The tone controls I have used once in a while but, 99% of the time, they stay bypassed with the loudness button on. I use the living room rig sometimes to rock out on where you just want it a bit louder and feel it. If I want accurate, I still have the Kef LS50W in the den ( still 10000000000% recommend them to anyone looking for a powered setup)

Sorry for the long review / setup on this unit. I know there is not a lot of 411 so I wanted to try to get as much detail on this as I could. Polkie price for folks with 200 posts and up: I want $975 in my pocket after shipping or meetup. If anyone is within 2-3 hours from 60440, I am willing to meet up. Heck even if its past 2-3 hours I am usually willing to meet up LOL.

http://audio.teac.com/product/ai-3000/overview/

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.

Comments

• erniejade
    fzdwxz60l9co.jpg
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    wq5ty3df1458.jpg

This is to show the size of it. The scratch on top is not as bad as it looks in the picture. Most of that came out.
  • erniejade
    geq3kaxpn1ag.jpg
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    I was drooling when Jaybeez sold this and now again. If I could fit it in my console I’d be all over this.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    One thing to make note of, Teac is Esoteric and vice versa. Esoteric is the Teac label for no holds barred performance. Basically, Teac wanted to offer up items that were the sky is the limit when it came to price, performance and prestige.

This Teac could easily slip unnoticed into Esoteric's lineup and fit in nicely. It really is THAT GOOD.

If I wasn't trying to thin my herd, i would jump all over this.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Oh, you rotten bass tards!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    It's just too doggone big or I would have already bought it three FS threads ago.
  • kharp1
    Bunch of crack pushers
  • kharp1
    I don't need this, I don't need this, I don't need this...
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    @verb , surely you need this for your 6th second system. >:)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    What??
    @verb didn’t buy it already?!?!???😉😂😝
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    LOL! I’m tempted, but I defer to my dear friend @kharp1 ! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    It's a sweet looking piece. If my memory isn't completely shot I'm thinking it sold for like $3k new.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Correct, MSRP $2,999.
  • erniejade
    It really is a great unit. If it had the loudness button, the T+A would probably be making an exit. Again, I know it is a very un-audiophile reason for me to keep one over the other but, this is my " rock out" system for the living room. A lot of my rock out music is not mastered well or needs a little help.

On a side note, the T+A does have one of the best implementations of a loudness button and tone controls I have heard on an integrated. Even beats the tone \ loudness on my McIntosh pre's that I had.

Sound wise again, very lively, great presence, wide soundstage. Wider vs the T+A. I have heard this unit on Polk LSI25, SDA3.1 ( with A1 cable) and Tyler Highland H2. On all 3 speakers same results.

Since this might show up on other searches, non Polkies - outside of this forum, the price is $1275.00 shipped within the USA. My price of $975 in my pocket is for Forum members with over 200 posts.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Maybe Brian will throw in an hour of free Karaoke to the buyer....providing you don't sing obviously.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    tonyb wrote: »
    Maybe Brian will throw in an hour of free Karaoke to the buyer....providing you don't sing obviously.

Only if it is your backyard since it seems to be the hotspot lately for parties LOL.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You don't do bad yourself my man. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Oh there she is again :) glwts
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • kharp1
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Oh there she is again :) glwts

Do it...
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I was the one who first owned it here! Great piece of equipment
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • kharp1
    edited June 2019
    Do it, again...
  • erniejade
    Still around if anyone wants it!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Wait until Russ sees this thread. He'll buy it for someone to "store" for him.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • honestaquarian
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Nah @verb will get it now that he knows @kharp1 isn't gonna get it. @verb buys EVERYTHING ;):p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If Russ rubbed his junk on it, this would have sold a long time ago. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

Tom

I bet it would pair nicely with his Phasetech bookies that are sitting here staring at me lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • honestaquarian

Tom

I bet it would pair nicely with his Phasetech bookies that are sitting here staring at me lol...

Nah I think it would drive the bejesus outta them SRS's that @verb has!
    (well at least until he buys yet ANOTHER amp to add to his collection)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Tom

Do it dude! Looks like a solid piece of gear! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.