Help with power/wiring questions on new outdoor Atrium 6 and Atrium Sub100 speakers

Options
Need some help and would appreciate some guidance.

In the middle of a fairly significant backyard renovation. I bought a pair of Atrium 6 and they sound good, very pleased. I would like to add the Sub100 to fill in a little of the low end, but I'm confused on how best to do that. Let me provide a bit more detail.

I have a Denon AVR-X3500H and will be running the Atrium 6's off of the 'Surround Back' left and right channel binding posts and amp assigned as 'Zone 2'. That parts covered.

What I'm struggling with is how to power the Sub100? Do I need to buy another amplifier to do this or can I use the "junction box" that comes with the Sub100 and run all 3 speakers in parallel off of my original plan for just the Atrium 6's?

Will this present a usable ohm resistance to my Denon AVR, if so, what would that be? Lastly, does the does the Sub100 have a passive crossover integrated? If so, what frequency?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Answers

• Mattox86
    Mattox86 Posts: 65
    Options
    Is the sub passive or active?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Yes it's a passive sub so you'd hook the speakers up to the junction box and your receiver will power it all.

That said, the problem would be, in my view anyway, that zone 2 on a receiver doesn't have the same power as zone 1, it usually delivers less. With less power, and dividing that power between 2 speakers and a sub, how much power is the sub really going to get ? Which may lead to underwhelming performance.

If you really want it to rock, a separate 200 watt amp would rock it. But...does your receiver have a zone 2 preouts to be able to add an amplifier ?

Another option is to get a speaker selector switch, you connect zone 1 to the switch and you have control over as many speakers as you want by simply pushing a button on the switch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited June 2019
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Switcher-Control-Commercial/dp/B00XUM9OAM/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=speaker+selector+switch&qid=1561723845&s=gateway&sr=8-26

I use this one, have 3 sets of speakers connected to it. 2 sets outside, one set inside. A 200 watt amp is connected to the switch and a dac and sonos before that. No receiver necessary.....and it rocks.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    A quick look says your receiver does have a zone 2 preout. I would add an amp to that and connect the speakers/sub to that amp so it powers your sub.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's