Momo 12 vs 12w7

Options
Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited September 2004 in Car Subwoofer Talk
is the MM124 sub hit harder and catch low bass notes like the Jl Audio 12w7?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Options
    the w7 will get much louder and has better sound quality than the momo
    but itll cost ya out the ****...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Will a Civic be faster and better built than an M3?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah, i found the w7 on onlinecarstereo.com for $600
    you can find the momo on sounddomain.com for $180 in an enclosure
    not exactly a fair comparison
    -Cody
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Well, if you erase MOMO from the sub maybe it'd sound as good... those letters are holding back all the performance, weighting down the cone, I say :p
    True, MM vs a $600 W7 isn't a fair comparison.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Options
    From what I've heard, they both have a history of breaking though :)

Its one of those apples and oranges things... JL has lines that are higher up than Polk. Polk has stuff that is great for the price, but doesn't seem like they're trying to break into the "upper" market.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Options
    At least not for us car-audio dweebs... Maybe they just think we don't care about quality in our cars... like were lower-class than audiophiles :rolleyes:
    Oh well....
    --Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by kuntriboi
    is the MM124 sub hit harder and catch low bass notes like the Jl Audio 12w7?

A better comparison would be the W3V2 and thats iffy IMO.....
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Hey don't underestimate the momo by ANY means.... its wierd that apparently some people's mm12s sound terrible, don't hit low, yadyadayada... but i must have gotten lucky and got about the most amazing mm12 ever built... my friends brother has TWO W6v2 12"'s in his car in a ported enclosure, not the absolute best stuff, but up high on the scale

and long story short... its hard to tell teh difference between my single mm12(in its custom enclosure) in my VW 02 GTI than his two w6v2's in his 4 runner.....

this could be possibly b/c in my gti we're a lot closer to the sub

it could also be that his enclosure is tuned incorrectly

but either way, the fact remains that he dumped about $1300 into his subs, amp box etc alone, while i only paid a whole like 300 or so fo my subs amp wiring.... so just keep my opinion in mind....

and btw a w7 vs a mm12, theres no comparison, the w7 will blow the mm12 away
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    the w7 will get much louder and has better sound quality than the momo
    but itll cost ya out the ****...
    -Cody

I've got 2 MM2104's in the trunk of my stang in a .75 (x2) cu. ft. q-logic box. Pushed with Alpine MRD-M500 benched at 581w RMS into 2ohms. They sound "ok"..

Pulling the MM2104's, putting 'em in my son's integra (he has 2x10" Alpine type-E's) with 300 w/rms (we tried it already - a nice improvement).

Gonna replace the 2 MM2104's with a single 12w7. I'm thinking I'll hear/feel a difference...even with the reduced power (581wRMS at 2ohms vs. around 400w RMS at 3 ohms).

Gotta build me a box this weekend - sealed (drat) because of limited trunk space...

I'm not knocking the MM2104's - they were GREAT for the price - but for $360 for the 2-month-old w7, I can't go wrong <g>
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    unless you planning on upgrading the amp, id probably stick with the momo's
    i mean the w7 has a huge x-max compared to the momo's, but with MORE power and MORE surface area, im not sure if youll hear/feel a difference at all
    id put it in a big box if youre only running that much power
    i can ask around if you would like to see what other people who have w7s think(how big the box should be with that amount of power)
    and plus $360 is still a rip for a used sub without a warranty(Well, i assume its out of warranty)
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    this sub is a better sub, its new, warranty, and its yours for $9 more than the w7
    no shipping and handling fees and no tax(well...i dont think theres tax)
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah, there probably is.

hey cody, you should get the 2-brahma package! :D
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah, im going to get 2 10s
    usa-3000
    1500 watts per sub...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    when you gonna have em?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    ill have the brahmas hopefully by september
    the amp will be like the year after some time, it all depends on money
    i can build a box thatll make the brahmas plenty loud for now
    it all depends on money really...the money for the brahmas has already been put aside
    but im getting a new truck next summer
    im going to be putting a lift on it
    then ill be replacing the gears and adding a locking differential to the back
    plus i want to shave the handles on the truck and tint/alarm
    then ill have to get a better alternator
    then the usa-3000...lol
    not a huge priority right now
    buts its on the list of mods for the future truck...you should see the **** im going to do to this truck...its going to sick
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    hmm, just a thought... the same retarded little birdie that's been **** me over recently (see below for another story) told me that they heard a w7-based system. it apparently had 3 12w7's... and sucked... now, i don't know whether to believe them, but it's a good laugh nevertheless.

story time - yeah, so i got bored this weekend and took my passenger door apart. i got all the paneling off after about an hour, and there was a very thin layer of foam underneath, presumably for some semblance of dampening. fine. so, what the idiotic little birdie had done is put the dynamat extreme i bought on top of this foam, instead of on the door frame where it should have been. so, that money did a whole lot of nothing. does anyone know of a way to move dynamat? so i can put it in the right spot?

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Options
    That sucks neo. I hope you can find a way to get that off. That stuff is too expensive to waste. Would a heat gun maybe work?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    Options
    extreme sticks REALLY good
    id say heat gun if anything...can you get your money back?
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    Options
    yeah, extreme sticks really well, i tried peeling it today. but, i dont have access to a heat gun... i suppose i can try a hair dryer tomorrow. hmm... i dont know about a refund either, i'll call and ask.

• Systems
    edited August 2004
    Options
    Who in their right mind would want a W7 in their car if its not for competition?
    They are heavy, they break, they have a crappy warranty, they require a 1" MDF box thickness, they are TOOO powerhungrey and worst of all, they take up too much room.

just buy a good 12" and port it, if done correctley, it will sound better!
    and take a lok at the facts, polk momo vs W7

Lighter (in comparision), fantastic warranty and superior customer service! 3/4 mdf box, dont need a Nuc power plant to run the thing! much cheaper and they look good! and best of all, they need minimal airspace!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited August 2004
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with having a W7 in your car if you can afford it.

If I had $1000 just lying around Id have an Xtant amp.

You do get what you pay for and that is especially true in electronics. You pay thru the nose for a W7 but youre getting a lot in return.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited September 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by exalted512
    ill have the brahmas hopefully by september
    the amp will be like the year after some time, it all depends on money
    i can build a box thatll make the brahmas plenty loud for now
    it all depends on money really...the money for the brahmas has already been put aside
    but im getting a new truck next summer
    im going to be putting a lift on it
    then ill be replacing the gears and adding a locking differential to the back
    plus i want to shave the handles on the truck and tint/alarm
    then ill have to get a better alternator
    then the usa-3000...lol
    not a huge priority right now
    buts its on the list of mods for the future truck...you should see the **** im going to do to this truck...its going to sick
    -Cody

more like a tractor then a truck. :) can you hit the guard rail or can you jump over the guard rail??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited September 2004
    Options
    id go through it:D
    -Cody