To Garage or not to Garage, that is the question.

Gonna pack up the music room. SDA2Bs, Adcom GFA545, Denon universal player and a Denon Pra1200 preamp.

I live in Arizona where it gets mighty hot in the garage but not a lot of humidity.

Should I just pack up the 2Bs in a closet somewhere for the next 2 years or should I put the system in the garage where I can still enjoy it?
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

To Garage or not to Garage, that is the question. 20 votes

Garage, all day!
25%
SchurkeyConradiclescasciusboston1450gyosa 5 votes
Pack em up safely.
55%
warrenderonb1kharp1IrrenhausJimbo18ClipdatafterburntRandyCroissantdelkalmlistens03jbail2011 11 votes
Get a new house already.
20%
ken brydsonbikezappanooshinjohnDaveHo 4 votes

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Dude i grew up there until 22. They will MELT in the garage unless it’s well insulated. If you want them to work in two years, pack em up and keep em safe!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Dude i grew up there until 22. They will MELT in the garage unless it’s well insulated. If you want them to work in two years, pack em up and keep em safe!

But don't we all want liquid midrange?

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Sell the gear until you can actually listen to music again. Then get new gear.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • codycatalist
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Sell the gear until you can actually listen to music again. Then get new gear.

Eh, the SDAs are special to me. Plus there is no way I'd get money back on the upgrades and with a new kid on the way I doubt I'll get a chance for audio gear in the foreseeable future. I might just switch to headphones and bring my work rig home.

There is something about the Fidelio L2s and Little Dot 1+ that makes me smile.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Pack em up safely.
    You could get one of those on-wall AC units and make your garage work, I don't know how much those things cost but I can't imagine they are too much. :)
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited May 2019
    Garage, all day!
    1. Set up the system in the garage

2. Add insulation to the walls and ceiling, some indoor-outdoor carpet, ONE comfy chair, and an A/C unit
    2b. Bass traps, diffuser panels, a couple of additional 120V circuits, etc. MAYBE a bigscreen/projector system for video.

3. Garage becomes new, larger, better "music room".

4. Build bigger garage for the cars and workshop.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    What does your garage look like?

New construction and up to date.

Old bare-bones leaky wall construction.

attached to the house or is it separate?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • codycatalist
    Tony M wrote: »
    What does your garage look like?

New construction and up to date.

Old bare-bones leaky wall construction.

attached to the house or is it separate?

It's a newer construction, maybe early 00s. Attached to house, not leaky. How insulated I am not sure but it doesn't get TOO crazy hot in there. Granted my version of crazy hot is different as I'm used to 115+ for 5 months of the year.

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Insulate and AC garage.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    talk to @steveinaz and see what he recommends.... hes boots on the ground in AZ lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Get a new house already.
    I wouldn't put anything I really cared about in the extremes of a garage environment. That said, I've had a pair of ADC 303AX's in my garage for nearly 25 years. Part of a whole house system, so no electronics are out there. Temps in my garage range from 20's to 100+ with high humidity in the summer. They still work great & frankly, I've beat the piss out of them on occasion. They just refuse to die.
  • codycatalist
    talk to @steveinaz and see what he recommends.... hes boots on the ground in AZ lol...

True but he is out in the boonies. Isn't quite as hot there as the big city.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    And BONUS, the garage humidity will help with whooping cough. That's how you sell it!
  • rooftop59
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Option 4. I say keep the speakers where they are and put the new kid in the garage. Boom! Problem solved!

Our fourth did sleep in a closet for almost two years, as did one other. They love it honestly when they are newborns, it’s like a womb, pitch black and quiet. We put a noise machine and a little fan and as far as we can tell both of those children are as normal as we could expect lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • codycatalist
    Option 4. I say keep the speakers where they are and put the new kid in the garage. Boom! Problem solved!

Our fourth did sleep in a closet for almost two years, as did one other. They love it honestly when they are newborns, it’s like a womb, pitch black and quiet. We put a noise machine and a little fan and as far as we can tell both of those children are as normal as we could expect lol...

Except when they see a closet their eyes get big and they shutter. :p

• codycatalist
    When I was a kid, my Dad had work samples shipped to the house. They'd be in boxes that were five feet tall. Those were the greatest things ever. It was like a playhouse or a spaceship for a kid. It's as if my parents were grooming me to be a homeless person. Twenty years from now you'll see me on the side of the road living in a box with a "Larry Rack" in tow. I'll park the box in the hospital parking lot next to Joey's new car in the hopes he'll put some change in my cup. I'll protect his car from door dings and he'll treat me pro bono for head lice and bed bugs. Or box bugs.

That sounds like a fair deal to me.

• rooftop59

Except when they see a closet their eyes get big and they shutter. :p

If that's the worst issue any of them have, #winning.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Get a new house already.
    I voted get a new house but I'm a Realtor. Gotta pay my bills too LOL
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Pack em up safely.
    How often will you sit in your junk filled 100 degree garage to "enjoy" your secondary system?

I vote closet.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Drum roll . . . the 4th option.
    A combo room where your compact gear resides!

Seriously, that kit takes up very little room. Ply your better half with whatever it takes to make her realize (for instance) a sitting rm/living rm/listening rm/tv room . . . an all-in-one room is a great way to go!

also, consider storing in an interior closet the Denon and Adcom and get a a nice AVR to go with the 2Bs and a small sub . . . 2.1 Baby!

No help? oh well, I tried

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • codycatalist
    I voted get a new house but I'm a Realtor. Gotta pay my bills too LOL

You sly dog you!

• codycatalist
    delkal wrote: »
    How often will you sit in your junk filled 100 degree garage to "enjoy" your secondary system?

I vote closet.

7 months out of the year. ;)

• codycatalist
    I will mention I am keeping the speakers OUT of the living room due to a cat that loves to destroy stuff. That's why this isn't an option at this time. She has calmed down but I don't want to deal with a scratched up MW that is getting hard to replace.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Might be able to get rid of the cat, 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    I will mention I am keeping the speakers OUT of the living room due to a cat that loves to destroy stuff. That's why this isn't an option at this time. She has calmed down but I don't want to deal with a scratched up MW that is getting hard to replace.

You know how to take care of that problem don't you...

OPEN THE DOOR..!!

problem solved....lol

That's what I did...the cat never came back....YaY!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Garage, all day!
    i chased my daughters cat 3 times with the speaker grill. It worked well. That cat would walk into the livingroom & i would just point to the grill & he would haul a$$. He never touched them again for 6+ years. RIP Buddy our little audio listening cat.
    Randy/Maine