harsh mids on my SDA1-B's....am I better off with SDA2's?

I've had these SDA1-B's for a few months now and I've grown to love their massive sound stage. I dynamated the drivers, glued the magnets, and replaced the tweeters with rdo194's, so I feel attached to the speakers and may have a hard time letting them go. haha. however, now that I've finally put some real power to them (Yamaha m80, Adcom GFA555II, and Emotiva XPA2), the mids are overbearing to me. Maybe they are too large for my room? I dunno...regardless, my room is what it is...

I'm wondering if the SDA2's are less harsh considering there are half of the amount of mid drivers. I've never heard them, so I'm wondering what you guys think and how you would compare the two.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited May 2019
    What is your source, pre amp, cables, power cords and how big is your room?

Stock crossovers? What's on the floor and walls? What kind of furniture?

How far apart, how far from the back wall, how far from the side walls, toed in or parallel to the back wall?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited May 2019
    I've had these SDA1-B's for a few months now and I've grown to love their massive sound stage. I dynamated the drivers, glued the magnets, and replaced the tweeters with rdo194's, so I feel attached to the speakers and may have a hard time letting them go. haha. however, now that I've finally put some real power to them (Yamaha m80, Adcom GFA555II, and Emotiva XPA2), the mids are overbearing to me. Maybe they are too large for my room? I dunno...regardless, my room is what it is...

I'm wondering if the SDA2's are less harsh considering there are half of the amount of mid drivers. I've never heard them, so I'm wondering what you guys think and how you would compare the two.
    The electrolytic capacitors are WELL beyond their service life. You're not hearing the speakers the way they're intended--you're hearing the degradation in the crossovers, too.

For that matter, the original electro caps in the Yammie and the Adcom are ALSO well past their service life. And Emotiva? Really?

I bought my 1Bs as "store demos" when the 1C was coming out. Recapped and did some mods on them maybe ten years ago. The improvement was amazing.

For the record...I had midrange problems with my 1Bs, until I discovered that my amp wasn't true common-ground. The '555 should be fine. I don't know about the others. I fixed my midrange problem with an eight-inch section of 12-gauge wire plugged across the negative speaker terminals of the two amplifier channels.