Senie Hunt - a remarkable musician

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
edited May 2019 in Music & Movies
so... we saw Richard Thompson (one of my very favorites, full stop) at the Flying Monkey in funky Plymouth, NH* last night.

Unusually, RT had an opening act; a local fellow (originally from Sierra Leone and now living in Concord, NH) called Senie Hunt. He's a guitarist, but he plays with an unusual and highly percussive style. I was gobsmacked by the first song he played. He played 5 or 6 songs, and was a huge hit with the crowd. He came back out onstage after his set to gather up his equipment (i.e., to be his own roadie), and not only did the audience cheer, he got a slightly-belated (but deserved, I'd opine) standing ovation.

Here's the song he opened with. This is the studio version (he just released an EP) but it's pretty similar to his solo performance.

https://youtu.be/Cj5U2QZ53Hg

He does use some digital froofery (sampling and looping), but it was clear that he has the right stuff even without that trickery ;)De gustibus non est disptandum, of course, but I thought he was terrific**.

https://www.nhpr.org/post/concord-musician-senie-hunt-releases-first-studio-album#stream/0

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    His EP is on Tidal; just listened to it and really enjoyed it. Thanks, Doc Hardy, for turning us on to him!
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,972
    Listening to it now, off to a good start, thanks for the mention
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Richard Thompson is perhaps the most under-appreciated guitarist/minstrel/musician in modern history
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    dromunds wrote: »
    Richard Thompson is perhaps the most under-appreciated guitarist/minstrel/musician in modern history

Well, it's funny -- he is held in very high regard in many of the "right" places, but he's kind of low profile in the pop culture world... but, yes, he's one of the best there is, full stop.

He was quite talkative and characteristically witty Thursday night. There was a woman there in the audience who we think was probably his current romantic interest (he's moved to New York recently); maybe he was showing off :) He played for nearly two hours, nonstop (including two encores, four songs in toto) -- a significantly longer solo show than we're used to seeing him perform. He also played Dimming of the Day, which was mighty fine.

We've just gotten spoiled seeing him play small, nice venues up here in northern New England. Two years ago, we had front row center seats to see him at the little theater in Bethlehem, NH -- 'bout as good as it gets.

for those who don't know RT... here, try this:

https://youtu.be/go6-OOZaqK0