Sold my klipsch KG4’s today .......

Options
gyosa
gyosa Posts: 699
edited May 2019 in Speakers
I hated to see them go - like an old friend ...
Bought them new in ‘87 .... they were in almost new condition.
But I knew I’d probably never use them again since I bought the Salks.

I sold them to the guy I bought the Salks from . He is a serious audiophile and was begging for them . They’re gonna keep his new Cornwall’s company . He gave me a really good deal on the Salks , so I returned the favor.

Miss them already for some reason , but they went to a good home ....

Gonna put the money towards a new amp.

There .... I feel better now ....

Bk

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

Comments

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited May 2019
    Options
    [I don't know what to say...other than why? I’ve let go of five different pairs of SDA’s and kept my two pairs of KG_4’s. I still love several of my Polks, but my KG-4’s with updated crossovers and bob crites tweeters are keepers.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Every speaker we have sold or (mostly given away or traded) we have regretted after a while.
    Not sure how much nostalgia and just memories go with that, but they were not all awesome sounding, but most supplied awesome memories!
  • gyosa
    Options

I know ... ask myself the same thing ....
    Because the Salks blow them away and I know I’ll never use them again ....
    My wife hated the way they looked .
    Between my 1c’s and the Salks they’d just sit in the closet .....
    They deserve better than my closet ...😃

If / when he tires of them they’ll come back to me ...

Like K_M said .... they hold memories...

Bk
    DollarDave wrote: »
    [I don't know what to say...other than why? I’ve let go of five different pairs of SDA’s and kept my two pairs of KG_4’s. I still love several of my Polks, but my KG-4’s with updated crossovers and bob crites tweeters are keepers.

Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    edited May 2019
    Options
    If he does the full mods on them, you'll never get them back. I use mine as the front mains in my HT system. Pound for pound the best speaker Klipsch ever made IMHO
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    Pound for pound the best speaker Klipsch ever made

I have to agree.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Mine went to a buddy who uses them as fronts in his HT. Always liked them. Did the Crites titanium diaphragm upgrades. Can still be had for a song sometimes.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your love for KG4’s. I have never really liked the sound of any Klipsch I have heard. I will have to keep an eye out for a clean pair.
    Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I think I saw a pair on our local FB (Charlotte) for $350
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I had mine on the FS for $250. No takers...
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • gyosa
    Options
    They are great little speakers - especially for the $500 when new ...
    I was never a fan of the horn tweeter though.... just not crisp enough for me.
    The bass was fantastic.
    After I bought the 1c’s in ‘88 they sat in the closet for 20 years and then did intermittent duty here and there ...

Bk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    gyosa wrote: »

That sounds like an unrelated issue as the stock tweeters in mine (with full mods) are VERY crisp and forward. I tried the Crites titanium upgrades but took them back out because they were as crisp as a teachers yard stick being broke over the top of my head... Could have been bad caps, speaker wire connection etc.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gyosa
    Options

I dunno ... could be .
    All I know is I like the Salks better ....
    The 1c's on the other hand , will never leave me ....

Bk

audioluvr wrote: »

That sounds like an unrelated issue as the stock tweeters in mine (with full mods) are VERY crisp and forward. I tried the Crites titanium upgrades but took them back out because they were as crisp as a teachers yard stick being broke over the top of my head... Could have been bad caps, speaker wire connection etc.

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    I dunno ... could be .
    All I know is I like the Salks better ....
    The 1c's on the other hand , will never leave me ....

Bk

Wish mine had never left me. (Though I'm not real sure what I'd do with them.)
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    edited May 2019
    Options
    They are great little speakers - especially for the $500 when new ...
    The bass was fantastic.
    After I bought the 1c’s in ‘88 they sat in the closet for 20 years and then did intermittent duty here and there ...

Bk

Any crisper would cause immediate bleeding from the ears. I mellowed out a pair my buddy has with crossover upgrades. He likes them a lot more now.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gyosa
    Options
    Couple weeks with the Salks now ...
    Don’t miss the KG4’s one bit .....
    😊

Bk

• gyosa
    Options
    ixfjr7lyfmus.jpeg

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Rock on!!! from one great speaker to another! you have been blessed! So Rock On.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Remove that entertainment center and your sound will improve 3,00000000000%
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gyosa
    Options
    New one being delivered Thursday ...

khg6hipz89h8.png

100% teak ... no MDF or particle board ...

Sony 65” oled XBR -65A8F TV being delivered same day .....

Deal was , wife could re-do the den if I got new speakers ....

She picked out the TV .... good wife !

Still need a new amp ...
    A21 will not fit ...😩

Bk

• ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    Options
    kxmjfukzdtqa.jpg
    Congratulations..
    I have a Sony OLED in my livingroom, it really throws a nice image. Your are going to love it...
  • gyosa
    Options
    Beautiful setup you have there !

Bk

• VR3
    Options
    That new rack and TV will be awesome! Congrats
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gyosa
    Options
    TA ‘Da !

Better VR3 ?

👍

Bkvodx9qv1a0oe.jpeg

• BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Terrific!!!!! Well done!!!!
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    TA ‘Da !

Better VR3 ?

I can't tell if they already are from the photo, but pull the towers out slightly until the front bezels are slightly past the front of the wood entertainment center furniture.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    TA ‘Da !

Better VR3 ?

I can't tell if they already are from the photo, but pull the towers out slightly until the front bezels are slightly past the front of the wood entertainment center furniture.

Yes, and slightly angle them in to focus on the sweet spot.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gyosa
    Options
    They are , and they are ....
    Gotta say .... these are some seriously good speakers - even running off an AVR ...
    I’ve had them paired to the B&K and A21 temporarily, and it’s sublime ....

Bk

• VR3
    Options
    Much better, should have some better imaging for sure! Congrats!