Latest Recommended Adhesive for Preventing Magnet Shift

Options
bem
bem Posts: 102
I've read dozens of older threads on preventing magnet shift on SDA drivers. From what I understand many have used an older version of Loctite Power Grab that is Clear. However this does not appear to be available now as it's been replaced by an Express version of this product. Has anyone had experience which this newer version of the Power Grab? Or should I be going with some other newer product that has worked well on recent mods?
Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but just looking for Polkies with current experience with this.

Comments

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    I use GO2 by loctite it works great, do a search here for more info.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• bem
    Options
    Looks interesting. Nice post. Might be a good alternative to consider. I've got 12 speakers to do.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    I use the newer powergrab it works no problem. I really wanted to like the GO2 followed the directions to a T and 5 days later i noticed i could just peel it off. So back to powergrab. I know others have had success but wonder now if they went back to the drivers it they could peel it back like I was able to.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I’ll have to look into that and check back. I certainly hope not jeesh!!
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Next time I secure magnets, I'm going to use REAL epoxy. (Not JB Weld) Structural adhesive, not construction adhesive.

I used the recommended version of Powergrab last time; and I'm not enthusiastic about it. Not so suspicious that I'm going to remove it and start over, but enough that I won't use it again.

OTOH, I have no plans to do this any time soon, all my magnets are already secured.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I’ll have to look into that and check back. I certainly hope not jeesh!!

Fingers crossed for you. I hope not as well.
  • bem
    Options
    Well I’ve settled on using Power Grab and went out and bought a 6 oz tube of it. I cut of the tip of the tube and found it really difficult to dispense it uniformly so I gave up.i was really hoping to just gently squeeze a nice bead around the magnet . Does anyone have any tips on the best way to get the Power Grab to the areas I need to without making a mess? Any type of applicator where I can get a nice clean bead around the magnet? Any help would appreciated. Also I assume that it is ok to put the cone side down on the MW without causing damage to the speaker surround material. Correct?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Put it cone down on a piece of cardboard so you can spin it without rubbing the surround at the same time. I find the larger caulk gun tubes to be much easier to use. Cut just enough to fill the gap between the magnet and pole piece. Go slow and push it into the area. then you can smooth it out with your finger and wipe up excess. An old wet rag helps keep the digit clean between use. The older the small hand tube is the harder it is to get to flow out of the tube IME, and no way to tell how long the thing has been sitting on the shelf. I also use caulking guns often so I do not buy the cheap guns so that may help as well. If you cut too small a hole on the tube it also makes it a bit harder. I also only do one side of the magnet at a time do the bottom one night then on top of the magnet the next night cone face up then you do not need to worry about making a mess with the bottom being fresh.

Hope this helps.
  • bem
    Options
    Thanks pitdogg2 for the advice. All good suggestions. I will definitely try using a larger tube of the Power Grab. As for the placement of the speaker, you are not suggesting to support the speaker by the frame only , a flat piece of cardboard should be sufficient enough if I understand you correctly.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019
    Options
    bem wrote: »
    Thanks pitdogg2 for the advice. All good suggestions. I will definitely try using a larger tube of the Power Grab. As for the placement of the speaker, you are not suggesting to support the speaker by the frame only , a flat piece of cardboard should be sufficient enough if I understand you correctly.
    No not supported by the frame at all. Flat piece of cardboard on your table. The cardboard is protecting the face of the speaker while face down on the table.
  • bem
    Options
    Got it!
    Thanks again.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Yeah I just squeeze it on then run my finger to smooth it. Take your time and no mess to clean up.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    Yeah I just squeeze it on then run my finger to smooth it. Take your time and no mess to clean up.

That's what she said....😁
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options

That's what she said....😁

Dang ya got me Ken.

:p
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member