Polk Atrium 8 or...?

Options
joecoulson
joecoulson Posts: 4,943
So I think it’s time for me to get some new outdoor speakers, I’ve had the Mirage oasis II’s For quite some time now and although they are pretty good speakers, they’ve been outside for close to 14 years and I feel like I could be getting much better performance out of a new pair. So there are lots of good reviews on the Polks but there are also Definitive Technology and other brands out there and I’m wondering if you guys have any experience with outdoor speakers that you can share.

Comments

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have 3 of the 8’s on my patio each running in stereo mode. They are a very good outdoor speaker. The white comes clean every time they get cleaned. Good product.
    The neighborhood kids text me requests when the are out shooting hoops.

I don’t have current photos but this is when the yard was going in years ago.
    lka31t6fjpg4.jpeg
    tuzi29q5r9s9.jpeg
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Going a 3 years now that I've had my 4 outside. They work well. They are missing something but they are better than a Bluetooth speaker or a ghetto blaster. Mine are hooked up to a yammy rxa 1010. I use the app to control it all from where ever.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    The results for outdoor sets that are in this price point are:

Polk Atrium 8
    Def Tech AW6500
    Klipsch AW-650

I like Def Tech , but I get as many pros for the Polks, not much feedback on the K's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    Options
    I'd personally go with the Def tech, their PR should load well when mounted, imo
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Thats what I am thinking
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I use the DefTech AW6500 in my basement shop. Have them hung from the floor joists. Sound good for the application, play plenty loud to overcome machine noise.

Out on the deck I use a pair of JBL N26AW II. I actually think they edge out the DefTechs sound wise, but the mounting options are not as nice, and they are discontinued.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 699
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have a pair of atrium 8’s...
    Also have a pair of Boston acoustics voyager 7’s ...
    I prefer the Boston’s .... they are completely sealed vs the polks which have a removable “power port” plug... the bass is much better with the plug removed - but then they are no longer sealed...

I also prefer the sound of the Boston’s ... deeper bass and better highs - larger drivers , I believe....

That being said , if I was in the market for new outdoor speakers , I’d probably get a pair of B&W AM-1’s ..

The Boston’s have been discontinued but you can still find them NIB online ...

https://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10051

Bk
    Post edited by gyosa on
    Dayens Ampino , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Eversolo DMP-A6 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

Parasound A21, Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

PS Audio S300 - sitting in the closet for now …

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO