Any opinions on sound quality of UHQCD CD format (Japanese CDs)?

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited May 2019 in Music & Movies
I just learned about CDJapan on a jazz music site I am on and they say it is an excellent place to buy reissued jazz CDs. I just checked out their website and noticed that a lot of their jazz reissues are done in UHQCD format (Utlra High Quality CD, I believe). I have never heard about that format before. Is anyone familiar the UHQCD format? Is the sound noticeably better? Their prices seem reasonable and they have a lot of great reissues, as well lots of stuff not available here. I was just wondering about UHQCD and sound quality. Thanks.

Comments

• pglbook
    I just learned that UHQCD stands for Ultimate High Quality CD (not Ultra as I stated in my op).

Has anyone heard this format? Does it sound better than a regular CD?
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I don't think I have any of that format, however, I do have several Japanese SACD's as well as other remastered CD's from them, and my take is they usually are very detailed and tend to run a bit on the brighter side. Not terribly. Just recently received 3 Blu Spec cd's from them and I will say that one of the choices was a Simon and Garfunkel collection. I picked it specifically to see how they had handled the terrible amount of noise that typically accompanies their music. I was blown away at the lack of background noise and hiss.
  • pglbook
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I don't think I have any of that format, however, I do have several Japanese SACD's as well as other remastered CD's from them, and my take is they usually are very detailed and tend to run a bit on the brighter side. Not terribly. Just recently received 3 Blu Spec cd's from them and I will say that one of the choices was a Simon and Garfunkel collection. I picked it specifically to see how they had handled the terrible amount of noise that typically accompanies their music. I was blown away at the lack of background noise and hiss.

Thanks for the info.