LS50 Replacement Tweeters

Options
Hey all,

New to the forum and seeking some advice. I have a pair of LS50s that were my grandfather's. In excellent condition overall, but one of the tweeters isn't working anymore. My research seems to show that the SL6000s in the cabinet could be replaced with a SL6001 or SL6501, but I can't find them anywhere online.

I did read that Polk may have replacements available if I call or email them, so I plan on reaching out to them.

However, I wanted to see if anyone here had suggestions for other models that might also work in the LS50s. I see a lot of SL5000, SL5001, and SL5501s around for sale. Would these work also, or would they be a downgrade in quality? Would you suggest that I replace both tweeters if I get a different model?

Thanks for your help and input!

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    Look for a CS350LS center, or a pair of LS/FX surrounds. They have the same tweeter as the LS towers (one in the CS350, and FOUR in a pair of FX surrounds)

There was a pair of LS/FX surrounds on my local classifieds a couple weeks ago for $100... so they are out there.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Look for a CS350LS center, or a pair of LS/FX surrounds. They have the same tweeter as the LS towers (one in the CS350, and FOUR in a pair of FX surrounds)

There was a pair of LS/FX surrounds on my local classifieds a couple weeks ago for $100... so they are out there.

This is a good idea. I would hate to hack apart that great center, but the surrounds on the other hand wouldn’t bother me and you’d have several backups...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • archer144
    archer144 Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks for your advice. Do you know what the model number is on the tweeters in the CS350LS or the LS/FX surrounds? Is that the SL6500?
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    I’m not sure off the top of my head - I can open up one of my CS350 centers this weekend and check...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    edited May 2019
    Options
    archer144 wrote: »

Thanks for your advice. Do you know what the model number is on the tweeters in the CS350LS or the LS/FX surrounds? Is that the SL6500?

po8f5yo88xcv.jpg

Yep

I've had a search on the auction site but they do not come up often. Best advice is the same that has been given. You could then sell the drivers to those speakers and recoup cost somewhat.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • archer144
    archer144 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I’ll keep my eye out for those speakers.