How should the batting be installed in CRS+ speakers?

Options
In the bigger SDAs the batting shouldn't cover the passive radiator, but with CRS+ speakers it seems like that would be impossible. Does the batting go behind both MWs? Any details about installing the batting the correct way would be appreciated. Photos would be great! Thanks!
  • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
  • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
  • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
  • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
  • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet

Best Answer

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited May 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    I just moved a CRS+ (single tweeter) speaker and heard a rattle.

I opened it up by removing a mid-woofer. I also had a sheet of batting spanning the whole inside.

The rattle was the crossover plate. It was just lying on the bottom kind of catawampus. I looked for where it belonged but didn't find a thing. STRANGE!

I have it's other speaker that I can shake and open to look for construction techniques so that's coming. I was involved with a major job of putting a window A/C unit into the back room so did nothing more except put the mid-woofer back on after twisting the cross-over around a bit to unwind the wires a bit.

It's now nice and cool in the back room now. After the A/C install, I went back to replacing mulch and weed block material which is kicking my butt. I like to do things too thorough sometimes. I'm digging up those BETONYs and roots from years past. Back breaking work for a 60+ year old! :s

I didn't even look for my Dremel. I just went to Harbor Freight and bought a new cheap one and some bits to drill out those Tweeter plates and to grind the back of the original plate for the lead extensions. It should be EASY. :)

I can't wait to get to all these audio projects done and also downsizing and also putting ceiling boards on the cottages two ceilings. That'll be interesting! :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Answers

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    The set I had open, the matting covered the whole span of the inside enclosure, passive included.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    This was by default, a compromise on Polk's behalf since the passive had to be rear-mounted.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Thanks guys for responding. I opened up my CRS+ to put the RDO-198 tweeters and crossovers from my 2BTLs into them and I saw the batting was all the way across. Just wanted to make sure that is the way it was supposed to be.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,079
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    I just moved a CRS+ (single tweeter) speaker and heard a rattle.

I opened it up by removing a mid-woofer. I also had a sheet of batting spanning the whole inside.

The rattle was the crossover plate. It was just lying on the bottom kind of catawampus. I looked for where it belonged but didn't find a thing. STRANGE!

I have it's other speaker that I can shake and open to look for construction techniques so that's coming. I was involved with a major job of putting a window A/C unit into the back room so did nothing more except put the mid-woofer back on after twisting the cross-over around a bit to unwind the wires a bit.

It's now nice and cool in the back room now. After the A/C install, I went back to replacing mulch and weed block material which is kicking my butt. I like to do things too thorough sometimes. I'm digging up those BETONYs and roots from years past. Back breaking work for a 60+ year old! :s

I didn't even look for my Dremel. I just went to Harbor Freight and bought a new cheap one and some bits to drill out those Tweeter plates and to grind the back of the original plate for the lead extensions. It should be EASY. :)

I can't wait to get to all these audio projects done and also downsizing and also putting ceiling boards on the cottages two ceilings. That'll be interesting! :D

Tony, I can relate to all you said especially buying a new Dremel. It takes so much less time to buy a new one than finding something. I'm a few older. Harry Jones

TennMan, if you talk to Greg Marsh, tell him I said hello.

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    "TennMan, if you talk to Greg Marsh, tell him I said hello."
    Will do. I talk to him often.