Lsim 705 vs rti12's

Options
How much difference in sound between these two speakers??

Best Answers

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Let the new speakers play for a couple days on low volume before making an assessment. The LSiM series sounds more natural. You may find the RTi12s put out more bass, simply because of the larger cabinet volume, but have harsher treble. Some prefer that type of sound for home theater. I had a pair of RTi12s at one time. They were fun speakers with a lot of amp power put into them, but not nearly as refined as the LSiM line.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase. Only your own ears will tell you if you like the difference in sound. As pointed out, the RTIs are built for HT, the 705s are built for music first.

Fortunately you have plenty of power so they will operate to their full potential from the get go.

The sound will be very different from the 12s so give yourself time to get used to the sound. Put on some of your favorite music that you know well and listen for the differences. I think you will be very pleased by the difference. Enjoy.

Be sure to post back on what you think once both you and the speakers have had a chance to settle in. :)
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Answer ✓
    Options
    They are probably the two most different sounding speakers in the entire Polk lineup. All others have a warm, slightly laid back sound sig except the RTi, which are forward and bright. I personally hate bright speakers (though forward can be fun when done right), but as said it’s gonna up to you and what your ears prefer.

Give the new LSiMs at least 2 weeks of dedicated listening before listening to the 12s again. That way they will break in and your ears will adjust and you can make a fair judgment.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • transchris
    transchris Posts: 28
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks for all the info!! Now,just hope they don't come damaged in shipping!!!
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Should be a good match for them.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Not everyone will agree with me but when I had the 705's, I thought it was a bit thick sounding but, that could have been the components I had at the time. I thought a brighter sounding amp would make them sing better. I was running a McIntosh amp and Tube Joule preamp at the time.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Answer ✓
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Not everyone will agree with me but when I had the 705's, I thought it was a bit thick sounding but, that could have been the components I had at the time. I thought a brighter sounding amp would make them sing better. I was running a McIntosh amp and Tube Joule preamp at the time.

I didn't love my 703s until I got a rotel 200 wpc amp. Rotel is not a particularly warm amp, so I think that the combination of a pretty neutral SS amp and lots of current really helped open them up. But the bass continued to be a little fat and unwieldy to my ears...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You'll need to let them break-in for quite some time before they start sounding good if they are anything like my 703's. Didn't really like them until I had more than 50 hours maybe 100 then they really started sounded good. Before that it was up and down sound quality. Some guys say they didn't require a break-in but mine sure did. Now I consider them the best bang for buck speaker around
  • erniejade
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The 12's were awesome for HT but straight music, they were bright for my ears. The 705 is the better choice. Also good to know you could hear the difference between the B&k and emo amps.

How are the airmotv 2? Anytime i heard them it was in a ht type environment not for 2,channel misic.

Answers

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    A lot.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • transchris
    Options
    Would that be in a good way?? I just purchased the 705's will be here Wednesday... I'm also running 250 watt amp and preamp...all Emotiva..
  • transchris
    Options
    I just received my 705's.And wow!!! Right out of the box they sound so nice..David Sanborn and Rush... sounds like they're in my living room...I'll update as Igo through the break in period!!!
  • transchris
    Options
    Update:I swapped out the Emotiva amp with a B&K reference 5250,both are awesome amps, however I just wanted to try it..the bk is more light sounding.Very nice Balance.I tryed the 705's with the rti series in 5.2 mode and it sounds horrendous.So my RTI series are up for sale.
    My other system is all Emotiva including the speaker's, Airmotiv T2's and c2.the surrounds are rti8's.The sound is very well blended..Overall,I am extremely pleased with the 705's..
  • transchris
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    The 12's were awesome for HT but straight music, they were bright for my ears. The 705 is the better choice. Also good to know you could hear the difference between the B&k and emo amps.

How are the airmotv 2? Anytime i heard them it was in a ht type environment not for 2,channel misic.

The 12's are great,the 705's are just better all around..very happy with them..The T2's are simply awesome!!! First,they are 4ohm , I'm running an XPA2 gen3,so that's close to 500 watts.My preamp is the XMC1,and two Velodyne subs.The sound is simply amazing!!!For ht I have the xpa5gen2.Movies are so good in this setup.For my other setup,the b&k amp is a power House also.Very musical!! I'm running a marantz preamp with 2 psw505 subs..I'll eventually get another XPA2 for the ,705's.I can tell you that the RTI series sounds terrible with the lsim series.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Pics please.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2