Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Looking much better!
  • _nerd
    _nerd Posts: 54
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Looking much better!

Thank you very much. I am very thankful to everyone who responded to my post. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been excited with my home theater. Now that I’ve had all day up until right now to tinker with things while watching multichannel material, I can hear the improvement since I created this post. The center speaker isn’t annoying anymore. I can tell the L/R speakers aren’t as full range sounding as they were without calibration, but I am happier with the overall difference. The sub blends in better and doesn’t draw attention to itself like it did pre-calibration.

In its new location, the LSiC still sounds too bassy with the crossover set at 80Hz but it sounds much better with the floor set to 120Hz now that it doesn’t sit on top of the amp/receiver. I might go back to a CSi5/CSiA6, or step up to a LSiM706c because I miss the warmer sound of a Polk center loaded with dual 6.5” woofer. My current center speaker sounds like it’s screaming at high volumes - the bigger center speakers I’ve owned in the past sounded natural to my ears. The tweeter on these LSi speakers is light years beyond what I experienced with the other Polk speakers I’ve owned. That’s for another post.

Thank you all very much for being a part of this community. I value your contributions very much. Cheers!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,836
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yes, that is looking much better. One other thing to suggest now, try aiming the center up an inch or so at the front.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• _nerd
    Options
    Oh man that sounds like a great idea I’ll see if I have some bumpers around. Any idea on what to pick up at the store if I don’t have any? The center speaker doesn’t have any feet affixed to it.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I've nothing in particular to recommend other than something rubber or cork. A walk around the hardware store will likely turn up something.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I use two door stops on my center channel to tilt it up. Your system is looking much better with the changes you have made.

https://www.amazon.com/Stopper-Easily-Wedges-Protector-Flexible/dp/B019T28OG6/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=77927939262568&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=door+stops&qid=1556464466&s=gateway&sr=8-4
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What size is your TV? I would never put the center low if I have a chance to put it high. Its great that you moved the equipment down but why not leave the center on the top shelf? Also, like others have said, angle it to the ears using door stops. I use these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BTQGXHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once you get the center positioned right, then drop the TV down to about 1"-5" above the top tilted edge of the center channel. Your stand is about 23.5" and your center is about 7" tall. So, you have more than enough room to get you TV down to a nice viewing height.

For example, my eyes are about 48" from the floor when seated. The center of my TV is about 49" from the floor.

My stand is 25.5" tall, my center is 7" tall or 8" tall when tilted. I plan to raise my TV a few inches as its a little lower than I want. My TV is a 70"
    WLDock wrote: »
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2476356#Comment_2476356
    I've had a few center channel speakers, the Polk CS400i, CS1000p, LSiM706c, Chane A2rx-c, Boston Acoustics VR910 and VR920. I've tried them lower on a stand as well as in a center channel compartment. I found I got the best vocal height / anchoring, and uncolored sound with the speaker on top of the TV stand, slightly tilted, at the edge of the stand. I mounted my TV to the wall.

y1lgaz8unsjj.png
    wkanifdscwnu.png

Also, there are cheap ways to get an idea of the frequency response of your center from your listening position. A Radio Shack meter and some test tones was the old way. However, cell phone app or better yet a mic, computer, and software (REW software) are the more modern ways to do it. Then you can actually see the center of the peak/s and see the results of the adjustments.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • _nerd
    Options
    70”. If I attach the TV to the tv stand using the neck piece, there won’t be room on the top shelf for a speaker. I would have to keep it mounted on the wall to make it work the way you’ve suggested. I will take it into consideration. Thank you very much.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Exactly!
    1) Get the TV lower
    2) Keep it mounted to the wall
    3) Get the center right under it to keep it closer to ear level

Don't just take my/our words for it...

The center channel should be placed directly on-axis, relative to the primary seating position. As with the main front speakers, placing the tweeter at/near head level when seated is optimal. But depending on the placement of the video display or projection screen, this is not always possible. https://www.svsound.com/blogs/svs/74790851-the-art-of-speaker-placement

Tip #1: Position directly below (or above) the TV in close proximity
    Tip #2: Keep the center channel speaker in the center!
    Tip #3: Pull the center all the way to the lip of the shelf

Bad_vs_Good_grande.png?v=1542842630
    Tip #4:Angle The Speaker Toward Your Face https://www.aperionaudio.com/blogs/aperion-audio-blog/5-center-channel-placement-tips

Mistake #1: Your center speaker isn’t at ear level https://briteboxelectrical.com/home-entertainment/4-ways-your-home-theater-speaker-placement-is-all-wrong/

Place your center channel right above or below your TV, and line it up with the midpoint. If possible, tilt it to direct the sound to ear level https://www.crutchfield.com/S-OsreGZu2OFR/learn/learningcenter/home/speaker_placement.html

Center speakers work great placed on top of an entertainment center or on a shelf mounted above or below the TV screen. Just make sure the speaker in angled up or down towards the listening area to optimize the sound quality and creative the most convincing experience. https://audio-head.com/tips-for-setting-up-and-choosing-a-center-channel-speaker/

Center Channel
    Ideally, this speaker should be located directly on top of or below the center of the TV screen. The center channel is arguably the single most important speaker in a home theater system, because it handles up to 80% of the movie’s soundtrack! Putting a speaker in the same plane of the TV screen does, however, cause certain problems. Sounds that would normally radiate equally in every direction from the speaker are instead immediately reflected off the television’s screen. This causes undesirable sonic “colorations” that make the center channel sound different than the left/right front speakers, even if they are precisely matched.

This is why all Atlantic Technology center channel speakers include one or more controls that allow you to tailor their sound to better match the L/R speakers. Additionally, all Atlantic center channel speakers come with an adjustable mounting base that allows precise aiming towards the prime listening position for better dialogue intelligibility.

https://shop.atlantictechnology.com/faqs/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Why didn't you put the center on the top shelf?
  • _nerd
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Why didn't you put the center on the top shelf?

I’ve answered this question more than once.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Wouldn't have cost you anymore to have answered it again.