Jennings Research Contrara Speakers - $200

Options
Hi, I am selling these speakers pair, nice walnut cabinets and sound pretty nice. Local pickup $200. PM with any questions in regard to the speakers.

Best,

Here's some background info I found online:

"Frequency response of 38-24,000Hz, frequencies are crossed over and divided at 1750Hz in 12 Db per Octave segments". Jennings Research was based in Los Angeles, California, USA and founded in March 1975 by Tom Jennings, who had been the head of marketing for JBL in the late 60’s, early 70’s.

Other than the high-quality drivers and crossover networks, the most striking thing is their physical appearance: all the Contrara Group pedestal systems feature hand-rubbed, solid dark walnut cabinets with mosaic tops. The Rectangles have the same high-quality finish but without the mosaic tops. The pedestal models also have very heavy cabinets mounted on swivel bases which are quite unique, to say the least.

They were introduced in the summer of 1975 and the company initially made quite a splash with an advertising campaign in national magazines such as "Popular Science" and the "New Yorker Magazine". The well-designed systems sold well, but, unfortunately, the very high cost of materials and labor, let alone the cost of marketing and sales, put Jennings Research in a precarious position compared to the well-funded competition.

There was no question the product is excellent but, as happened to so many companies in the crowded high fidelity market, they just couldn't stay afloat."

6uvl429jtjdg.jpg
4emipcivue6y.jpg
4mnxfirbt6by.jpg
6fk8w4ejzjm3.jpg

Comments

• pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Beautiful looking cabinets. I bet they sound very nice as well. You may want to say where you are located (unless I missed it) for those close by for local pickup. GLWTS.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Those would be keepers in a vintage rig for me anyway. Cabinets built like that were uncommon even then and they look great.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yes, location. Speaker are located in Brooklyn, NY. I am willing to deliver them at a reasonable location in the area,
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    How long will it take you to get them to Los Angeles?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson