Another NS Designs in Verb's House!

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
edited April 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
Well, I'm fairly new to the DAC thing to be honest. A while ago I took the plunge and got a demo unit from @DSkip - the Intenso. This was the first sperate DAC I've really ever owned.

At the time, when paired with the EAD transport, I was blown away. Ever since, been running that combo in my main rig downstairs. I've played with the power cord, and digital coax, and noticed incremental, but subtle improvements. Needless to say, I've been very happy with that combo.

I compared the combo with the Marantz CD6006, and recently a Rotel RCD-1072, Oppo BDP-95, and others, both as stand alone players, and as transports.

The EAD and Intenso is still my favorite. Until tonight!

Just got a NS Excelsio from our fellow Polkie @jumpindick (gotta love the name) today and hooked it up tonight. Everything else was the same, just swapped out the Intenso for the Exclesio. Running a Silnote Morpheus digital coax cable and Pangea AC14 power cord.

The Excelsio is a very impressive piece of gear, when compared to it's little brother, which is no slouch by any means.
tbuhpht4jfvn.jpg

My main rig:
5qdfldfql21v.jpg

So tonight I had a chance to spin a few discs, and all I can say is OMG! Wow! For a novice like me, the audible differences were amazing!

I'll have more to share, but wanted to get it out there that this piece of gear is truly a game changer!

And a special shout out to Dhavel @jumpindick for allowing me to take his baby into a new home!

This is truly a great hobby! :smile:
Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    DACs are probably the most important piece of gear in a digital system, so it is worthwhile to get the best you can afford.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    wait till you play some hi rez files through it. I really liked that DAC, especially with the Cary Pre..... Hope you like it as well and enjoy..
  • verb
    jumpindick wrote: »
    wait till you play some hi rez files through it. I really liked that DAC, especially with the Cary Pre..... Hope you like it as well and enjoy..

Thanks Dhavel. Haven't really jumped into the hi rez rabbit hole. Yet! :smile: My office rig has a DAC that I play through the computer.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited April 2019
    Interesting first choice of music to play through it. You are quickly becoming a bigger Juno Reactor fan than I am!

I'm not sure I would've picked that as a "test", because it's from 1993 and the audio quality of it isn't exactly audiophile grade.

I'm curious as to what specifically you picked up on with the Excelsio though versus the Intenso, when listening to those two Juno Reactor discs. Any additional details on what you heard would be insightful.

I'm glad to hear that it was an easy to hear improvement to your ears though. Sometimes it can be disheartening when a very expensive piece of gear sounds pretty much the same to you as the lesser piece it replaced. Speaking from personal experience.
  • verb
    edited April 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Interesting first choice of music to play through it. You are quickly becoming a bigger Juno Reactor fan than I am!

I'm not sure I would've picked that as a "test", because it's from 1993 and the audio quality of it isn't exactly audiophile grade.

I'm curious as to what specifically you picked up on with the Excelsio though versus the Intenso, when listening to those two Juno Reactor discs. Any additional details on what you heard would be insightful.

I'm glad to hear that it was an easy to hear improvement to your ears though. Sometimes it can be disheartening when a very expensive piece of gear sounds pretty much the same to you as the lesser piece it replaced. Speaking from personal experience.

Yep. So far I've played 2 Juno Reactor discs, among my faves, but as I learned, I have to play a lot more genres, especially voices, to get a full spectrum of evaluation.

But, so far so good! I mean wow! As @DSkip mentioned, I was in for a treat! :smile:
  • jumpindick
    I also thoroughly enjoyed the Excelsio. I can't wait to give Supremo a go... Should be really nice experience as well...
  • verb
    I also thoroughly enjoyed the Excelsio. I can't wait to give Supremo a go... Should be really nice experience as well...

Ah I see! Had to be a reason to let go of the Excelsio! I’m right behind ya! :smile:
  • jumpindick
    verb wrote: »

Ah I see! Had to be a reason to let go of the Excelsio! I’m right behind ya! :smile:

Sure thing. I will keep it in mind...
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Did you not get to hear the Supremo and Excelsio back-to-back?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Dave, have you heard Mezzanine by Massive Attack? Great recording and some good tracks on it.
  • verb
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Dave, have you heard Mezzanine by Massive Attack? Great recording and some good tracks on it.

Nope. But I'll check em out! Thanks Joe!
  • verb
    Digging it! Kinda Depeche Mode-esque! :smile:
    mwcscaebos68.png
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Angel and Dissolved Girl are the best tracks.
  • verb
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Angel and Dissolved Girl are the best tracks.

Just watched both of the videos. And ordered the CD! :smile:
  • verb
    On to Tosca - Suzuki. :smile:
    5eier1ld5uom.jpg

• verb
    So doing a little cleanup on the main rig. Moved the Intenso to temporary storage. Funny I’m reminded of far I’ve come since joining CP! The BSR equalizer still has the rock and roll smile on it! :smile:
    1qug1tfdd588.jpeg
  • jumpindick
    If you ever decide to part ways with that tape player, let me know. I will be interested. I have a lot of music on tape. Back in old days, when I was in school, I would get the recording done on tape and listen via sony walkman... those old days...
  • verb
    If you ever decide to part ways with that tape player, let me know. I will be interested. I have a lot of music on tape. Back in old days, when I was in school, I would get the recording done on tape and listen via sony walkman... those old days...

It's yours brother! I'll PM you the details! Pioneer CT-W550R:smile: My journey with it started here:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180346/are-cassettes-really-making-a-comeback/p3
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Moved the Intenso to temporary storage.

I hope that means one of the other less important rigs and NOT a closet!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    No no. Maybe the office rig! :smile:
  • GlennDog
    No no. Maybe the office rig! :smile:

That'll subdue the/my heart attack . . . Too good a DAC to relegate to storage!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Agree! Thinking the EAR is going upstairs too! Now just need a small form factor amp! :smile:
  • GlennDog
    EVS M500 monos, baby!!
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12