Can't stop looking for deals..... Is there a help line?

Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
Craigslist, and now FB Marketplace, are addictive to me.

Going tonight to pick up a Sony STR850 receiver, two T50 towers, a CS25 center and JBL sub 260. No real use for any of them, but, in great shape for $200...............

Like my father used to say, "But Jim, even if you just look at them it's worth it".

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,120
    IMHO, if you don't have any use for the package and you don't plan to flip it for a profit, I would save my money for a true upgrade. For example, an HSU or SVS sub would really round out your HT nicely. Or save up to snag a pair of LSiM towers when they go on crazy sale at adorama...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    IMHO, if you don't have any use for the package and you don't plan to flip it for a profit, I would save my money for a true upgrade. For example, an HSU or SVS sub would really round out your HT nicely. Or save up to snag a pair of LSiM towers when they go on crazy sale at adorama...

Usually, what I have been doing is flipping part, or most, of the deal and keeping one or two of the parts. I gave both my daughters decent surround systems for pennies that way, and sold a nice setup to a friend for cheap.

One daughter is using a pair of RT25i's for her fronts so the T50's might be a nice upgrade for her.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,147
    I used to do this but I stopped awhile back. It just got too time consuming to flip things, not so much with audio, but with golf equipment a few years ago. I started feeling like the hobby was more of being a pawn shop. Got to try some great stuff, but really I enjoy having one set of well fitted clubs now.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,597
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

Going tonight to pick up a Sony STR850 receiver, two T50 towers, a CS25 center and JBL sub 260. No real use for any of them, but, in great shape for $200...............

Like my father used to say, "But Jim, even if you just look at them it's worth it".

You should move to New England, to a small town with its own dump/transfer station and one with a swap pile (and/or easy access to the various scrap metal, etc. piles)... this will cure you of paying for hifi PDQ. :)

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,120

Usually, what I have been doing is flipping part, or most, of the deal and keeping one or two of the parts. I gave both my daughters decent surround systems for pennies that way, and sold a nice setup to a friend for cheap.

One daughter is using a pair of RT25i's for her fronts so the T50's might be a nice upgrade for her.

I haven't heard the T50s outside of Best buy, but I kinda doubt personally that they would be an improvement over rt25is, which I think are a very sweet sounding pair of bookies. But I guess you can compare and then decide!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    I've listened to T50s. I think I'd prefer the RT25is and a sub (love that RTxxi line), but the T50s aren't bad.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    msg wrote: »
    Jim, I'm pretty sure @verb has found a cure for this.
    I haven't seen him buy anything in at least the last 7 or 8 minutes.

(I can't talk, I'm currently obsessed with DACs and headphones crap. AND, I thought I was out.)

I'll take it! What am I buying? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Jimbo18
    verb wrote: »

(I can't talk, I'm currently obsessed with DACs and headphones crap. AND, I thought I was out.)

97b69vn5ypkw.jpg
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Or save up to snag a pair of LSiM towers when they go on crazy sale at adorama...

@Jimbo18 If you have any interest in a 705 I have one new in box that I’ll let got at a *very* good price. Last piece from the Pallet o’ Polks.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • mhardy6647
    what'dya want for the rug?

B)
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,576
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

You should move to New England, to a small town with its own dump/transfer station and one with a swap pile (and/or easy access to the various scrap metal, etc. piles)... this will cure you of paying for hifi PDQ. :)

Up to camp i was reading the local paper & there seems to be a problem with residence fighting over free items at transfer station. I have never lived in a area where there are yardsales every day
  • verb

97b69vn5ypkw.jpg

Nice score Jimbo! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Jimbo18

97b69vn5ypkw.jpg

Probably give some away. T50's aren't bad but can't hold a candle to the RT800i's as I just found out. Haven't checked out the rest yet
  • verb

97b69vn5ypkw.jpg

Probably give some away. T50's aren't bad but can't hold a candle to the RT800i's as I just found out. Haven't checked out the rest yet

That’s part of the journey my man! Karma! Nice gesture! :smile:
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,741
    Don’t fight it embrace it
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • Carbo3D
    Carbo3D Posts: 10

Jimbo18, yep...I'm in the same boat with those online "enabler" sites. Just scanning through them and finding an amazing deal for Polk Product....WE HAVE NO CHOICE but to buy low, then figure it out later. Dooomed...
  • Jimbo18
    I got the model of the sub wrong, it's a JBL ES 250P, not a 260. 400 watts and heavy enough to hurt my shoulder (recovering from a separation). I will have to check it out versus my Def Tech.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,491
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum lately, purging. Other than the little pair of Minumus 7 test speakers, I have no speakers which aren't part of a system. Kind of a weird feeling. Yet I still troll CL, etc. Been trying to talk myself into purging some of the electronics that aren't getting regular use. Easier to keep that stuff since it takes up less space.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I had to slow down, realized that if I had just taken the path towards the gear I have now vs the mid jumps I made 6 months ago, I might be $3-4k up
    Now Axpona is around the corner, I might have just f-d that all up
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,129
    It's the thrill of the hunt. Keeps the blood flowing! :)

I get thrilled everyday since I hunt everyday.

I did see where another audio guy was purging his high-end electronic stuff. Sony ES, Kyrocera and other gear. I want some of it but I'm holding back for now.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Jimbo18
    Tony M wrote: »

I did see where another audio guy was purging his high-end electronic stuff. Sony ES, Kyrocera and other gear. I want some of it but I'm holding back for now.

That can't be right. Somebody must have hacked Tony's account.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,355

And as “Bones” McCoy would say... “Dammit Jim, I’m a Doctor, not a miracle worker,”
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I got to the point where I'm content enough to not look around. Plus you know paying for a wedding helps me calm the urge as well.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Try crack, that should stop you. Seriously critical listening just makes you want more and you enjoy the music less. I was comparing gear a few weeks ago and found it tedious and maddening, I could have spent that time having fun. Sit with what you have and enjoy it. One of my systems is better than the other but enjoy them both so long as it's not with "critical ears".
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Crack is whack
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Try coin collecting it's less cumbersome.
  • Jimbo18
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Try coin collecting it's less cumbersome.

Funny you mention that. I used to do the same kind of thing with coins. I bought dozens of collections of uncirculated coins on eBay, broke them up into year sets, or individual coins, and resold them on eBay. Did really well for a few years, till others started doing the same thing.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 5,000
    edited April 2019

97b69vn5ypkw.jpg

You just need a little more vision. That setup would go great straddled left-right of the pisser.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2019