Outboard power supply question

Options
I have a vintage PS Audio IVa phono preamp that is a spare, and recently some dumb azz knocked the power supply unit off a table and it broke the hard plastic case when it hit the hardwood floor. Too many broken pieces to glue I'm afraid. I have no experience with outboard power supplies. The wall plug houses the power supply and the cord is hard wired inside the phono preamp. I would like to replace the outboard power supply and cord. Any suggestions for an after market 12 volt outboard power supply? Thanks in advance for any help. Let me know if any questions.

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Is duct tape kosher?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I'm afraid it's totaled. You'll just have to buy Jesse's phono preamp that he has for sale.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Check Teradak... Probably overkill but they make nice PS's
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • dromunds
    Options
    Will check out, Mikey. Thanks.
  • dromunds
    Options
    TeraDak power supply is in fact overkill and would require mods to phono stage in any event but thanks for suggestion
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Don, curious here, can you post some photos for a sense of what we're looking at?

What kind of mods would be required for the Teradak?

Was the OE linear?
    If not, there's always the cheapie Pyramid. Buy the rated PS, and custom terminate your power cable to the power terminals?
    I disabled signatures.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    12 volts AC or DC? If the separate supply contains just a transformer then it is AC. If it also contains some diodes or bridge rectifier and some filter capacitors it will be DC.
  • dromunds
    Options
    I'm at work and photo isn't uploading from my iphone but I'll send it soon from elsewhere. It seems to me that its a 12 volt AC.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Got an amp or wattage rating?

so far 12v AC?

Got a truckload of wall warty type things, maybe something in there that'll work for you.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,036
    Options
    Need to know the current requirement for the wall wart, too (or just aim for mammoth overkill).

Heck, you used to be able to buy power transformers with 12 volt secondaries right off the pegboard at ol' Radio Shack :|

Yes, the bar for this is very low to replace that. :)
  • msg
    Options
    I think one of Larry's Dreadnought cases and the original guts is what's in order here. A good set of spikes probably, too. Definitely some Dynamat.

Indeed, some good diy/hoarder energies swirling in our midst. You sure know how to inspire!

Yes, is the spec label/molding still intact?
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Got a truckload of wall warty type things
    They got a gel for that now. I hear planting a potato works too.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks guys, I’ll try to track down the current requirement. Nothing written on the wall wart itself of course. ( I’m completely ignorant concerning the innards of wall warts.). This is a very early PS Audio phono stage but actually holds its own fairly well. PS Audio itself may not have information on the phono stage anymore. Lol.

w2pecq98ts3a.jpeg
  • msg
    Options
    Hey Don, you might be surprised. Maybe shoot them an email? Was this after the Threshold era? If so, there's a decent chance you can get some info.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Thanks, I did put an email into them. I can’t remember exactly if it’s from early or mid-ish 80’s. Serial number 28.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    That transformer looks physically fine. You could simply install it into another case and add a captive power cord or IEC connector. For safety's sake I would be inclined to fuse it as well.
  • msg
    Options
    Nice.
    Hahaha, wow, just "28"?!?
    I disabled signatures.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I’ll try to track down the current requirement. Nothing written on the wall wart itself of course. ( I’m completely ignorant concerning the innards of wall warts.). This is a very early PS Audio phono stage but actually holds its own fairly well. PS Audio itself may not have information on the phono stage anymore. Lol.

w2pecq98ts3a.jpeg

You might be surprised, I'd give them a call. They are very accessible and great to deal with.