3.1TL crossover question

Options
After looking for quite awhile I was able to acquire a set of 3.1TLs last weekend. They will replace my SDA 2BTLs currently in use. Apartment living limits how large I can go. I took a 7 hour drive of faith from Akron to Rockford IL to get them. The craigslist photo (1) was poor quality and the seller wasn’t anxious to provide additional. Aside from a water stain on one cap they are in great shape. I was happy to find RDO198 tweeters but nothing else had been upgraded. So the new journey begins.

My question is in regards to the undocumented 2 ohm resistor that is present on this set. I have seen other threads about it but did not find consensus on what to do with it. There are suggestions to remove it or replace it with 2 - 4 ohm or 3 - 6 ohm in parallel. I would appreciate hearing what others have done & the results.

bbi3fvt63idm.jpeg
SDA 2BTL NAD 3400 Philips DVD 963SA Marantz NR-1402

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Don't be so sure you didn't already have the better speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• wilsodt
    wilsodt Posts: 3
    Options
    Fair point. The 2Bs will be taking up residence at my girlfriends. They’re not leaving the fold.
    SDA 2BTL NAD 3400 Philips DVD 963SA Marantz NR-1402
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    edited March 2019
    Options
    kgzwbkji4vaa.jpg
    Congratulations on the new addition.
    Seams like the 3.1's are harder to find. I had to drive over 9 hrs (SoCal to Phoenix Az & back)round trip to pickup the set I bought.

Now it's a work in progress to make them sound/look the way I want them too.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,456
    Options
    Leave it. Most sand cast resistors I see are 10% and 5 watt which suck sound wise. Your biggest improvement is going to be replacing the caps anyways. But WTF do I know...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    Options
    It was recommended to me to replace it with two parallel 4ohm 12 watt mills so that we get the 2 ohms and 24 watts of handling. I was told that the reason it is needed with this version is to compensate for the inductor they were using with lower gauge windings... I vote you try it both ways, and report the results.