Boy was that unexpected.

Options
Watching a horror movie and my amp blew a fuse. Sounded like a handgun. That got the kids and wife worked up. Went up, turned off the power and unplugged.

This amp is a B&k ref 200.5. I poked my head around it looked like the inside fuse is blown. Smell like smoke. Smoke also bellow out after the kapuut.
Looked around and notice 1 of my speaker was put of place. Wife said she moved the speaker. I'm guessing speaker wire came into contact somehow. Luckily I have an extra 200.2 amd now were watching movie in 2.channel as I unplugged the rear 7250 also for safety measure.

I'm praying its as simple as putting in a new fuse . Anybody ever had this happen?
Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

Stuff laying around. Too much to list but don't want to sell either.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    How are the speaker cables connected?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dalylaleahthor
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Connected via banana plug. Based on initial assessment was that a rail fuse blew. There was still sound but in the rush of turning it off and unplugging it I didn't remember to make a mental note of which speaker the sound was playing but there was still sound being emitted.
    Epson 3020 projector. Da Lite screen. Oppo 103. Yamaha CXA5000. B&K 7250ii. HSU VTF2. Def Tech Supercube 4000. Polk Rtia9 CsiA6 FxiA6. Monster hts 2600. Home theater.

Bedroom consist of NHT model 2 powered by Parasound hca1200ii coming from my computer.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Had that happen years ago on the same amp. Using some screw down bananas and one vibrated loose and shorted. Replaced the fuse, but, that didn't do the trick. Think that amp is still tore down on the bench.
  • dalylaleahthor
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Had that happen years ago on the same amp. Using some screw down bananas and one vibrated loose and shorted. Replaced the fuse, but, that didn't do the trick. Think that amp is still tore down on the bench.

Man. I don't even have a bench it cant sit on lol. I'm going to try and replace the fuse tomorrow and see what happen. If it doesnt work I'll either find a repair shop or use what channel is still available.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I would not waste another good fuse. Something else is radically wrong inside that amp, and trying to make it work without going through it first will damage something else and make matters worse.

If you decide to ignore my advice, please take video of the fireworks and post it here.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Connected via banana plug. Based on initial assessment was that a rail fuse blew. There was still sound but in the rush of turning it off and unplugging it I didn't remember to make a mental note of which speaker the sound was playing but there was still sound being emitted.

Hmmmm.......my MIT banana plugs are stuck in so tight it takes serious effort to pull one out. If one of your banana plugs actually pulled out you might consider upgrading them.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dalylaleahthor
    Options
    I would not waste another good fuse. Something else is radically wrong inside that amp, and trying to make it work without going through it first will damage something else and make matters worse.

If you decide to ignore my advice, please take video of the fireworks and post it here.

Advice taken. Ill keep you guys posted once I have the time to take off the lid and dig around in there.

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited March 2019
    Options

Man. I don't even have a bench it cant sit on lol. I'm going to try and replace the fuse tomorrow and see what happen. If it doesnt work I'll either find a repair shop or use what channel is still available.

Been thinking about putting it back together and listing it as a 4 channel amp but selling it at a 2 channel price. That would be like half off.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Hopefully its a easy fix. Musta startled everyone. Might be a good time to upgrade the wife too :) Joke
    Randy/Maine
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options

Been thinking about putting it back together and listing it as a 4 channel amp but selling it at a 2 channel price. That would be like half off.

Talk to me goose.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Fuses don't typically make a loud noise and emit enough smoke to notice when they blow. The gunshot noise reminds me more of a cap going up in flames. I agree with the others, have it looked at before using again. I don't think it's a simple fuse replacement.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Fuses don't typically make a loud noise and emit enough smoke to notice when they blow. The gunshot noise reminds me more of a cap going up in flames. I agree with the others, have it looked at before using again. I don't think it's a simple fuse replacement.

I might agree with this. The very least you should pop the top and see what you can see before trying to operate it again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable