A quiet ride?

mbdyer12
mbdyer12 Posts: 220
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm considering doing the entire car in some sound dampening material. I've read you guys mention stuff about secondskin audio or something like that.
First off I'm doing it because I want a quieter ride. I'm not really in it to stop rattles or what not, since I really dont have any. If I put this stuff on the entire floor, firewall, doors, trunk and headliner, can I get somewhat of a high-end Lexus-like quietness out of a 98 Accord? I'd like to avoid doing the headliner if at all possible. Would this make a significant impact?
Also, I'm on a budget but if I can get somethin like that I described above, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more. Could ya list the lower priced stuff and the higher priced stuff and list the pro's and con's to each? As you all know, if its cheap and works just about as good, make sure ya mention that.. haha. Thanks everyone :D
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
Post edited by mbdyer12 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    ok i had this long post typed out, then my computer froze
    so heres the shorter version:
    get second skin
    you wont find a better product for the price or better customer service for sound deadening material anywhere else
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mbdyer12
    edited May 2004
    This is why you need that new computer...

But yeah, will it make the ride how I described?:cool:
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    def., the headliner would probably make an audible difference, but if you dont want to do it, thats understandable
    most of your noise, at least engine noise goes through your firewall, so you might want to double up in that area
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited May 2004
    Mmm... Good good. Was there a way to get it at a discounted price? :)
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    tell him(Ant) you were recommended to his product by the car audio forums
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2004
    lol then he tells you to post a review on the forums and it looks really good saying u were recomended from there and u have 1 post.... (like myself) I haven't got word from him since :confused:

but second skin is worth so much more than what u pay for it, my trunk rattles like 95% less
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    lol...just say from "the car audio forums"
    that way it doesnt really specify which one
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    edited May 2004
    I've been looking around...I might go with the liquid stuff. I read that you can brush it on. This would seem like it would be easier to apply to everything. Anyone heard of Cascade's stuff? I'm thinking this. Anyone know how much I'd need for the interior of a car? That includes headliner, firewall, bottom, doors, rear deck, trunk. I'm hoping 1 gallon would be close.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    you'd want it on real thick, so a gallon may not be enough. however, i'd still stick with the solid - it just seems more... well, solid
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Umm.... I wouldn't think liquid would be as great...

1: You'd need to remove everything from the car to avoid getting the roofing-tar like crap on it...
    2: You'd need to have a very strong wrist, or take a long time doing it... People think painting is easy until they try it for more than 30 min's. After painting for 5 years, I could put it on with a 6" brush in an hour... but I still would use the sheets.
    3: The car will stink for weeks if you use liquid sound dampener... I don't care how odorless they try to call it.
    4: Sheets are much easier.

I hope you're convinced ;)

Swerve: I just told Ant that Cody from sinton reccomended me :D He was like "ok cool!" ... I also told him his site kicks serious ****.

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited May 2004
    I do not think that he minded it, I just felt awkward (sp?) saying I was reffered but then only having 1 post... lol

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Cascade is the best stuff out there. Other companies to consider are raamaudio (raammat), brown bread, and dynamat along with second skin. Second skin seems to have good reviews, but someone representing the product spammed like a **** and was a real **** on some forums (carsound.com and soundillusions.net). I'll just stay away from them for moral reasons. Dynamat seems to be way overpriced for the performance. Brown Bread (and the other lines from that company) and Raammat seem to be the best bangs for the buck out there based on reviews. That's my 2 cents and you definitely don't need to buy into those 2 cents.

The liquid stuff might be nice in those areas where something is sticking up or if you want to take care of a large flat surface quickly. It will most likely eliminate all air (in theory) between the material and the car. The aluminum backed sheets are nice to work with when you have a heat gun, but it still isn't perfect over some geometries.

The best places to lay sound deadening down are:
    -doors if you have speakers in them
    -trunk where there are rattles. If you can't locate the problem(s), then lay down a couple layers over the entire trunk
    -a couple layers on the floor and on the firewall area.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited May 2004
    I HATE the Cascade mat. Years and years ago I bought a bunch of Dynamat (original and Super) for my Protege, and shortly after bought a bunch of Cascade (VB- whatever, mat and spray- on) for my wife's Civic. The Dynamat original sucks, it's a pain in the **** to put it in and I had a few spots where it came off the panel after a couple years. Maybe I didn't clean the area enough. The Super to this day sticks like crazy, I've never seen it pull off. The replacement for Super is the Extreme, which is WAY easier to apply. No cleaning, no heat, and it's almost impossible to remove (I know because I had an intern remove some for us). The Cascade in the Civic has the same problems as the Dynamat original, it pulls off and there's no chance of a second layer (or third) sticking for long. Dynamat Extreme will stick to anything, I've gone as thick as four layers on some places. It's worth a bit extra because of the time and frustration saved during install. Plus, no need for heat gun. Just make sure you wear gloves.
  • Thom
    edited May 2004
    Oh, and the liquid is a complete pain in the **** and didn't do any good in any of the cars I've tried it in.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited May 2004
    I use Tsunami Silencer and have had very good results with it. I havent done the entire truck in it yet tho. I just go to Circuit City whenever I have $15 laying around and/or want a project for about an hour and buy one of their speaker kits which is in 2 12"x12" sheets then apply it to the doors.

Im not really doing it for sound deadening as much though as my beloved Dodge is pretty damn quiet for a rig its size. 98% of all the noise is coming from thru the windsheild from the extreme lack of aerodynamics! Its kind of like a prachute going backwards!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    Hehe.. It's good to see our forum guys posting again.
    How are you Thom?
    Anyway, Thom, have any of you, or maybe even your sponsored cars' owners installed with thes other brands:
    SecondSkin, Fat Mat, or RamMat?
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • mbdyer12
    edited May 2004
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm kinda stuck on secondskin because of all the hype and positive reviews from everyone. I took a peek around the car audio forum and noticed a couple people talking about that "peel and seal" roofing stuff that sells at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I don't like asphalt based stuff but I hear its a decent and very cheap solution.

Hey MacLeod. I hear ya bout the aerodynamics. The 92 Sierra I had was just as bad. I had a few times where I was driving 75mph on the freeway and all of a sudden a strong headwind (40+mph) hits my windshield and it literally slowed me down to about 60mph without me downshifting to keep my momentum. But still, trucks rule! I miss mine.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    I HATE the Cascade mat.

I should have said "Cascade has the best acoustic properties if you use the right product for the right application (or problem)"
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    can sound deadening help a drop-top? i believe that most of the considerable noise level in my car is created by the imperfect seals between roof and windows; as i run performance components (tires, turbo, tuning, etc.) i know that these contribute noise; will adding secondskin to hood/firewall/doors help in any appreciable way? or will wind noise overpower whatever silencing i am able to achieve?

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    lol... you could apply the thinnest stuff to the canvas ..... Might sag a little :D
    -Jerry

• neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    i thought about doing something like that, maybe putting the material in between roof layers, but i think that most of the air noise comes from the roof-windows junction, and after consideration i can't think of any way to silence that... maybe aerodynamics? above is mentioned truck aerodynamics, or lack thereof, and the resulting wind noise... the roof sticks about 1/3 inch out over the windows, to create an effective water-seal; maybe forming rubber to the lip would allow air to flow along a smooth surface instead of encountering a drop-off.. same idea as, say, an airplane, where it narrows to a point at the back instead of just chopping off, so the air flows along the body instead of slamming behind it (i assume this would create somewhat of a vacuum, and perhaps this is what creates noise).

any ideas? does this make sense?

• Thom
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s
    Hehe.. It's good to see our forum guys posting again.
    How are you Thom?
    Anyway, Thom, have any of you, or maybe even your sponsored cars' owners installed with thes other brands:
    SecondSkin, Fat Mat, or RamMat?
    -Jerry

I haven't tried any of the above, but I think Jose Perez (the silver Jetta from our ads) uses RamMat.
  • Thom
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    I should have said "Cascade has the best acoustic properties if you use the right product for the right application (or problem)"

Even if it's the best at something, it takes forever to heat up and install, it stinks, and it's likely to fall off. For any rattles/ buzzes I've encountered in a vehicle Dynamat Extreme is the easiest fix. Cascade also had multi- layer foam for floors and some other other products that were fine (we use their power supplies for our demo cars), but the VB- 1 sucks.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    you know Thom, Ant from secondskin was looking for a sponsor...free sound deadening for all your vehicles:D
    just a thought
    -Cody
  • Thom
    edited May 2004
    We get offers all the time- wires, sound deadening, etc. I like to stick with the people who take care of us (and who have for years). The only time we like to switch up sponsors are when a vendor can't help us anymore or if we're not happy with someone's product.
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    gotchya...you should buy a couple sqaure feet of the STFU-80 they carry and compare it to dynamat extreme sometime--i have a feeling youll be pleasantly surprised
    -Cody