he Sound of a Bad Driver (Voice Coil) versus a bad Cross-Over (Capacitor).

Options
I have a pair of early version SDA2’s. As you may recall, these have three woofers in the array. Over the years these particular speakers have been move round quite a bit. They have been problematic and seem to be getting more problematic. Case-in-point: the dimensional woofer seems to be operating as does the woofer in the lower positions [the low-frequency driver as per the original manual]. However, the woofer in the upper position [the Stereo Mid-woofer as per the original manual] occasionally, sounds "off": the sound is muffled, distant, maybe raspy and muted, especially with the vocal part of the program, which this driver tends to carry. It is so far just the left channel and so far just this single driver. It is also occasional (as opposed to intermittent).

If that is enough information work with, my question is: does that seem more indicative of a Cross-over issue or a driver (perhaps voice coil issue)? I recognize that these are vintage speakers and the crossovers should be recap’ed (and indeed, I was waiting to send these off but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on the crossovers if there is a problem with the drivers).
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, Lou.
Marantz PM8004
Marantz SA8004
Marantz NA 6004
Polk SDA 2
Polk SDA 2A
Kef C95

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    Swap the right speaker with the left speaker first. Does the issue remain on the same side or does it follow the speaker?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Spread your finger tips around the driver cone and with even pressure push the cone in, then let it come back out. If you hear a scraping sound and feel a roughness the voice coil has shifted
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Luger
    Luger Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you. I will try swapping the drivers on the weekend. I did the palpation test and no roughness, no scraping sounds, and it bounced back smoothly. Thoughts?
    Marantz PM8004
    Marantz SA8004
    Marantz NA 6004
    Polk SDA 2
    Polk SDA 2A
    Kef C95
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    You'll know more after swapping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    Options
    Muffled and muddy sounds like old worn out capacitors to me.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Luger
    Luger Posts: 8
    Options
    To follow-up; I opened-up the speaker cabinets (in anticipation of having re-capping done and to swap the drivers but didn't have to go that far). I checked all the speaker connections and, of note, found contact of the SDA interconnects lacking; I cut out the connectors and temporarily wired the interconnects directly to the wires coming from the cross-over. As it stands, all the drivers are working and the speakers as a set sound really good! I'm just going to sit tight until its time to pull the crossovers for service. Thanks.
    Marantz PM8004
    Marantz SA8004
    Marantz NA 6004
    Polk SDA 2
    Polk SDA 2A
    Kef C95