Trouble with SDA2 Interconnect cable sockets and a rookie mistake.

I have a pair of early version SDA2’s. Over the years these particular speakers have been move round quite a bit. They have been problematic and seem to be getting more problematic. Case-in-point: the “Dimensional Array” completely dropped-out in both channels. This model has a dimensional tweeter (SL-1000) and woofer (MW5601).

My first suspect was the interconnect cable sockets and sure enough they were loose and in the case of the left channel the plastic was broken. Sometimes jostling the plug would make a connection but it did not maintain contact. So, being an amateur, I decided to hard wire the connection (if for no other reason than to confirm that the connections were the culprit and if I could get the “Dimensional Array” to work, I could certainly go back later and install speak-On NL2 connectors. Sure enough, by making the hard wire connections, all the “Dimensional” driver’s came back on-line.

The rookie mistake: I started with the left channel and wired white-to-white/black-to-black. Then I moved to the right channel and cut the interconnector and got those wire ends ready. When I took out the radiator: low-and-behold there were white and blue wires. What was I supposed to do? So I searched here for the schematic; and I found it; but I can’t read schematics! So, I wired what was the large connector (white) to the blue wire (which looks like a ground on the X-over to me) and the black-to-white. That seemed counterintuitive. But the “Dimensional Array” is supposed to be “out-of-phase” [Polk, M., Polk’s SDA Speakers – Designed in Stereo, Audio, June 1984, pp32-41, at p. 38, 40]. I got sound.

Query: did I connect the “Dimensional Array” correctly?
Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lou
Marantz PM8004
Marantz SA8004
Marantz NA 6004
Polk SDA 2
Polk SDA 2A
Kef C95

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    The woofer should be mw6501.
    Forget the color it should be big blade to big blade and small to small. Yes the switch is inside the cabinet. So IF white wire was on the big blade on the right speaker then on the left speaker it will be on the small blade.
    Hope this makes sense.
  • Luger
    Luger Posts: 8
    Yes, that makes sense. I believe I have it correctly wired.
    And BTW, I am sure that this is already known but the maker of the interconnect sockets and blades is still making them: BEAU Electronics in Nogales, AZ
    Marantz PM8004
    Marantz SA8004
    Marantz NA 6004
    Polk SDA 2
    Polk SDA 2A
    Kef C95
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    Yep
    The neutrik connection is much better that is why most switch. I knew the ends were available at a couple of places, I was not aware the sockets were still available.