Lets talk about refinishing speakers

Options
I snagged a pair of Mission bookshelves today from a buddy. They are in "meh" condition. The black vinyl veneer leaves something to be desired, and the grill fabric needs redone.

I got them for pretty much a steal, and I'm gonna just have some fun with them, so I'm not worried about keeping them looking stock.

So I'm thinking about refinishing them (but using laminate instead of veneer). I've seen quite a few folks redo their SDA's or CRS's, or even Monitor speakers with new veneer, but I've got some questions.

-Do I have to remove the existing veneer?
-If I have to, what are the tools I should have to do so?
-What glue should I use to adhere the laminate to the speaker?
-Any other random tips I should be aware of?
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    Send them to Jesse... :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    Send them to Jesse... :D

I cant afford his high caliber, high quality work.....

I'm looking at 50 bucks for a sheet of laminate. I doubt Jesse would even look at them for less than 100 :blush:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,028
    Options
    My vote for textured black paint with white racing stripes
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    What laminate are you looking at?
    That may determine what glue you use.
    As with most anything your base will determine how well your laminate will bond to the base. So yes i would definitely try to remove all of it.
    Heat gun, putty knife and good razor would be my top 3.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You want to use a glue that adheres on both sides.

:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What laminate are you looking at?

Thinking along these lines...

2gez4hvsnmz8.jpeg
    w25cjgzihkwd.jpeg
    f9yd9n8lg9o8.jpeg
    kgrpuc94roce.jpeg
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Heat gun, putty knife and good razor would be my top 3.

Thanks!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    What is your plan on the corners?
    Contact cement is what I seen most of this stuff laid down with. Make it a little big then router your edges flush.

Contact cement only sticks to contact cement so once you drop it on there is no moving it it is stuck.

I'm no professional I've done small counter top projects only.
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I was thinking router or razor blade...

It’s gonna be tricky because it’s not a square corner...

r6k24dp842kx.jpeg

^This is the better of the two.

I’m leaving the front baffle alone, and was debating just painting the back black to match.....
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Speaker looks fine. On the other hand the grill needs some work. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    edited March 2019
    Options
    J
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Speaker looks fine. On the other hand the grill needs some work. :)

What you don’t see is that the veneer is separating at the edges, it’s got some faded areas, and the second speaker is just bad....

Chips and cracks (touched up w sharpie), along the top edges... Areas where the vener has water stains etc.....

And yes, both grills need the fabric replaced. And I need to find another mission badge as I’m short one lol
  • pitdogg2
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Is that wood veneer or vinyl laminate?

I have no real experience with Wilsonart laminate, but think it's more for flat surfaces. You should contact them to see if it will bend.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mac71
    mac71 Posts: 6
    Options

Its gonna be about impossible to cover those with laminate,
    Looks like a one inch roundover on the front baffle.
    Post a photo with the grill removed.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    A good idea would be to remove the vinyl laminate with a scraper and heat gun. Then sand smooth and gel stain over the MDF.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2