SQ differences between different amps

2»

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited May 2004
    Well.. as for why to use Mosfets:
    -- They are MUCH more stable at higher temps
    -- They don't draw as much power (talking about wasted power draw here, not power for the speakers)
    -- Run cooler
    As for BJTs:
    -- Much more frequency stable at higher amplifying factors
    -- Draw lots of power that is wasted to make them Temp stable (referred to as degenerative feedback)
    -- They inherently run hotter because of this /\

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    I have a ? for BKNauss:
    Why do manf. always boast a Mosfet power supply? I have had no problems with h-bridges made of BJT's. They just hate silicon??:confused:
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    okay, that helps a lot too. i didn't understand the decade bit, but i get it now. why does it begin to shift phase before the xover point? or, if there's no simple answer, you can throw up a couple of those links and i can see how i do w/ them, then maybe you can try again to educate my dum bass :p. even if i don't get all of it, they should help somewhat - at least so i know what an h-bridge is, etc.

jerry - if most manufacturers use mosfets, who uses bjt's? they sound like a better product (at least from what you've said, and for my application), so i may be interested in getting an amp that uses them.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s

Why do manf. always boast a Mosfet power supply?
    for the same reason they boast peak ratings
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    Man, that was a due answer... sorry I asked :p
    -Jerry

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Are there any good amps that use BJT's instead of MOSFETS? If so, are they worth the money?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited September 2004
    hey, i was searching for an old post, and if anyone has an answer to the last post of this thread, can they throw it up here?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited September 2004
    Older lines of amps, I think it's typical for newer amps to use mosfets because of the design cost of producing a degenerative feedback circuit for standard transistors. The standard transistors have to be balanced to not distort from heat caused by peaks in output. The mosfets tend to be unable to handle the power of transistors, so what we get today is half mosfet, half transistors, it's really hard to say, and you can probably bet on both being in there.
    Timeline would be... tubes, germanium transistors, silicon transistors, then mosfets... it's really hard to say what's better, and like I said, most use both technologies inside.