Want to purchase a new car in Illinois but live in Minnesota

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
edited March 2019 in The Clubhouse
qxk6h15lvfm3.jpeg
Found a great deal in Chicago on a new vehicle that everywhere else is charging 3-5 K more for. Willing to fly or bus of family road trip in to drive home. My question has to do with taxes? Am I going to get beat up some how? Sales tax where I live is 7.25 and I think Illinois is 10 %? Since Illinois is still broke are there some hidden costs I am not aware of? Thanks. D
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If you are registering the car in Minnesota, there may be something called reciprocity that would negate the Illinois tax because you would be paying that tax in Minnesota. Check into that first, as that extra 3% may make the trip pointless.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    What dealership is it at?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited March 2019
    You pay tax where and when you register the car or truck.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Milito wrote: »
    You pay tax where and when you registered the car or truck.

That's certainly the way it works here -- bought my new car in December in VT but since we live in NH, no sales tax. The dealers in VT and NH are very used to this; it might be a little weirder in the OP's case, but it should work the same way.

I would wonder if IL has any 'hidden costs', too, but the dealer ought to disclose that if asked pointedly. :)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Bought a truck for my grandson in Rockford Illinois, brought it back to Iowa paid taxes for it in Iowa even talked the guy into writing a bill of sale for way less than I paid for it, thus paying less taxes in the state I live in.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908

Not if you buy from California and live in a different state. Found that out last year when I bought new. So, I would've paid California and Illinois tax on the car.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    charley95 wrote: »

Not if you buy from California and live in a different state. Found that out last year when I bought new. So, I would've paid California and Illinois tax on the car.

That was the way it was AZ to Texas in 2007/2008. Paid both places. Got such a great deal it was okay, but still unexpected and a big stinker!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    rooftop59 wrote: »

That was the way it was AZ to Texas in 2007/2008. Paid both places. Got such a great deal it was okay, but still unexpected and a big stinker!

Now that is odd. We use to buy out of state (CA). when I went to Vegas to buy my Extra in 2002 I was told it doesn't matter where you buy a car you will pay the tax on the register the car to. I hate buying cars, they try to get you any way they can. If they are working with you for the deal they screwed you in the cost someplace else.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I thought in Cali the tag is registered to the car and not the driver? May explain double tax
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Nice looking truck.

Why not just take the deal from out of State and see if a local dealer will match it? There is always the chance when dealing out of State that a buyer shows up and the sweet deal “vanished” but the sales manager would be happy to get the buyer a special deal TODAY on one in a different color at MSRP. It’s a lot easier to walk away from a local dealer.

Dealers like to dicker and say the Tundra TRD Pro is super rare and valuable, but there are hundreds sitting on lots in the country. I could get around $5K to $6K off locally today on one in Voodoo Blue if some sucker didn’t pay full price, which people around here apparently do on those. A good thing about Tundras though is they last a long time!
  • nooshinjohn
    If the dealership is owned by Bob Rohrman, I am certain the deal will vanish just as soon as he lands in Chicago.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Agree on Rohrman. And his commercials are annoying.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2019
    VR3 wrote: »
    I thought in Cali the tag is registered to the car and not the driver? May explain double tax

It all boils down to reciprocity agreements between the states. Tax collected on sales of vehicles are generally suspended under interstate commerce, but some states do not have agreements with each other. Illinois may have agreements with Indiana but not with Minnesota.

I do not remember now if I had to pay the tax to Illinois when I bought my Jaguar VDP there in 2008. Bottom line is that sales tax will be paid somewhere, and if Illinois does not have an agreement with Minnesota, that tax will be paid twice.

https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/research/taxrates/Documents/rntrrc/st-58.pdf

According to the chart above, it looks like you are good to go.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Bought a truck for my grandson in Rockford Illinois, brought it back to Iowa paid taxes for it in Iowa even talked the guy into writing a bill of sale for way less than I paid for it, thus paying less taxes in the state I live in.

That's how ya do it kids. Especially between private owners.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Do you have a trade in? A trade in can reduce sales tax because you have already paid sales tax on the previous vehicle and can also help. Might be state dependent and I am sure dealers don't like to tell you that.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    It's a good idea to consult with your local DMV or a tax professional just to be certain about the specific regulations and any potential additional fees. But overall, it sounds like you're on the right track to score a sweet deal!

And you're on the right track to score a swift kick in the ****.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I know my reply is a bit late, but I'd like to drop in and say that while Illinois has a higher sales tax rate of 10%, you may still save money overall if the vehicle price difference is significant. It's always a good idea to check with the dealership about any hidden costs or fees specific to Illinois. In addition to considering the tax differences, it's also worth checking the cost to ship a car cross country. This factor can significantly impact your overall expenses. Be sure to research shipping options and get quotes from reliable transport companies to get a clear picture of what to expect.

Oh his buddy showed up with the spam payload. GTFO.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    Two spammers, same thread... Same day

The internet is broke
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    I feel like that would be a long walk.

On a serious note, I had a similar situation years ago. Wanted a particular model built and feature set in a Tacoma. All the trucks around here were beat and people wanting premiums for garbages. Got a $99 flight on Southwest down to Florida and drove it back.

As far as I recall, I think only had to pay whatever it was to register and title in VA.

Saved $4,5k. Spent $2k in repairs, got $500 from seller toward repairs. Win. Low mileage, exact feature set I wanted. Eff your state if your vehicles are overpriced. go elsewhere, drive home, enjoy the road trip.

Unless it has anything to do with Illinois, Minnesota, or NY.
    I disabled signatures.
  • IteachSTEM
    IteachSTEM Posts: 50
    Always do your homework. I live in Illinois and it's called the "land of taxes" now instead of the "land of Lincoln!"