I toasted one of my RDO198s and I cant get up...:(....

First off hello to old friends and gurus sorry for having been away so long. Life has been a roller coaster. Recently one of my RDO198s turned up dead. I ordered a new one...but just want to confirm the smaller red ear goes to the black wire and the bigger non colored ear goes to the white wire correct?

If I got that wrong from the first time out....then would that explain why I somehow killed it?
I'd like to figure out how this happened I use fast blow fuses.

Again hello to everyone and im glad to be back. I look forward to tweeking my crossovers again soon.
Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    edited March 2019
    I'm confused here. If your speaker takes the RD-0198 then you will have two different sized quick connects on the tweeter wires. Obviously the large one can go over the small tab on the tweeter BUT the small one will not go over the large tab. There is only one way to hook them up. The black wire on Polks is the positive and the white is negative. Black goes to red and silver will go to white.

If both of the tabs on the tweeter are the same size you have the wrong tweeter. The RD-0194 has both tabs the same size.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Won't make a bit of difference electrically which way the wires go. THAT's not the cause of the failure. It does make a difference sonically, though--so you want to get it right.

If there's crossover problems, it could be sending low-frequency signal to the tweeter which could melt the voice coil.

Or you're just playing the speakers too loud, over-driving the amplifier, and clipping the signal.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    I'd like to figure out how this happened I use fast blow fuses.

Where?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Agreeing with Jesse here, afaik, no 198 capable polks use fuses, per se.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Could his Monitor 10 speakers have the fuses in back. If he upgraded the crossovers & kept that original ???? Just a thought
    Randy/Maine
  • PittDog thanks then they were correctly installed. The xo was in fact modded for 198s so on the black wire I just pinched the full size quick connect on that one to prevent myself from ever installing it on the wrong side. But I had forgetten if I did it right in the first place. Thanks for confirming.

Shurckey theyve been playing fine for years now. The xo was modded correctly. You are probably right about playing too loud. I had one crazy night a few weeks ago and I played kind of loud for several hours. I suppose its possible the beautiful Adcom 555 fatigued and maybe did start clipping. What gets me is usually the fuse just pops. But maybe they dont pop for clipping. They do pop if a really high note hits. Or the volume is way up when first turned on.

F1Nut in the back in their original OEM locations. I did the XO upgraded for the 198s and I kept the fuses back there specifically to prevent losing tweets and they have saved them many times thus far.

Boston: Collect 200$ and pass go!!

I suppose im to blame. I just wanted to double check. Im going to see if I get around to double checking the XO mods once more over and post my exact setup there. But its been playing great for a long time now. I like the 198s and you guys convinced me they are worth doing the mods for. Now I did go to mundorf caps on one speaker because I got greedy for more and to experiment on sound. I havent gotten around to remodding the other speaker but they sound similar to be honest. So that one has soniccap caps.

Cool stuff: Adcom GFA-555, GFP-710, Oppo BDP-83, Monitor 10's w/RDO198s, rebuilt and modded XO: Sonicap/Mundorf topside, Daytons Low.
    Benq W5000

"Leaning back like a maxwell tape commercial listening to pure polk bliss"
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    +1 on the 198 tweeters being great. If you ever get a chance to listen to this. "Tubular Bells" you can really enjoy the rdo198 tweets qmvv2m6n0eet.jpg
    Randy/Maine