SDA 2B with subwoofer

I've never really felt that the 2Bs lacked low end but I thought I would play around with my HT sub since we never had one with the SDAs. The sub is an old 12" Mirage that suits the Ht rig just fine but after having it in the 2 channel rig I think I now know what people mean when referring to a sub as being musical or not.

With no sub out on the pre I wired up the sub using the speaker connectors. Put the sub crossover at it's max setting. I swear at times the 2Bs seemed clearer when engaged with the sub. although the bass was a bit boomy. Just my imagination?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Are your SDA's spiked. I noticed with SDA 1c's i spiked it improved the bass quite a bit
    Randy/Maine
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    The best way is to have the bass to the 2B's electronically filtered, and allow the sub to only do deep bass duty.
    Removing the deep bass from the relatively small mains woofers, gives them added clarity and they are not struggling to reproduce the loud deep bass, but instead the larger sub is doing that work.

The Sda 2B's have decent bass for what they are, (2-6.5" woofers in a big box) but can never match the excursion and ease of a nice 12" or 15" decent quality sub.

We had the same dilemna years ago with our Rta11t's....the sub just did it far better.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Now I'm curious too, once I get my 2 channel back where it belongs I think I'm going to experiment a little.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    I've got one of these http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html
    running with my 2BTLs.

Definitely more and better bass, but not dialed in well and frankly I'm more aware of the challenges of my room than ever. Curious if a 2nd sub would make the room issues a little easier, but that's a pricy experiment I haven't been up for yet.

Since my amplifier burped a couple weeks ago and took out a MW6511, I've currently rolled in my modded RTA11TL, which *never* have been able to make much bass in this room, in spite of reports that others are impressed with the bass from those speakers. Certainly makes them much better in the room.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,963
    Yes, they are spiked. I've never felt they are bass shy, just wanted to see what a sub may offer.

This is why I am confused on why they sounded clearer...with running wires from the 2B speaker jacks to the sub I'm not filtering anything so it should not have affected the 2Bs?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    There's tale told of better integration if sub gets same signal (from amp) as speakers rather than line level from preamp.

Haven't played with this myself so no personal experience.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0