Speakers causing structural damage?

Options
Ever have one of these days?

So I stripped down a pair of 3.1's I bought off CL for my son with plans for a full Polkie modification. Sanded and stained the original oak end caps a nice dark mahogany to match his game room furniture. Since the weather here in North Texas has been chilly, I did this in my bar area (not the sanding, did that in the garage) so I could close the door to keep from smelling up the house. Three coats of stain and three clear coats later, the smell was gone so I left the door open. One of my cats, upset over having a section of her house closed off for a couple weeks decided to jump from a bar stool onto the top of one of the empty speaker cabinets because, well, that's just what cats do. To keep the cabinets off the floor so I could stain around the bottom edge, I had these sitting up on chunks of foam insulation making them a bit top heavy. Long story not so short, right speaker falls into the left speaker which then crashes into the wall knocking a good 5" hole through the drywall. The cat, uninjured, came flying downstairs around 90 mph and took up residence under the couch for several hours.

Sorry, had to share my pain.

Spending this weekend learning how to repair knock-down drywall texturing.......

95m1z5j12kub.jpg
Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,029
    Options
    knock down sucks, have fun with that!

I hate to hear it happened! Could be worse though I guess! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Here you go...a video showing how to do the knock-down very similar to your wall's texture.
    https://youtu.be/WUYcYEV14Vo
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    Options
    That was a great story!

How's your speaker work? Still okay?

Sounds like a good excuse to take your cat out for a nice Chinese dinner.
    I disabled signatures.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,326
    Options
    The important question —is the speaker injured?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Tony M
    Options
    Another way...with a hopper and pressure.
    https://youtu.be/8qt25WKPbhk
  • Tony M
    Options
    This Sponge method might work for you too.
    https://youtu.be/k43yfYu5UDs
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,029
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Those last two videos are much better than that first one... you can delete that one from the internet and be better off...

The trick to knock down is having the right tools for the job and a small 6" knife just wont cut it... that knife used in the last video would be my choice...

I would also recommend sanding down the area around the damage so you can "blend it"
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I can't edit now. It's too late. :#
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    LOL, I found all those videos over the past 24 hours. (I have been known to play a few hands of cards now and then as well.)

Here's the card room along with one of my existing 3.1 speaker set-ups. No expectation of any SDA effect in here but everyone still loves listening to it during games. My apologies to any Duke fans...
    9aykrjjt80jf.jpg

If you spin around 180 degrees, I make sure all my opponents spend a great deal of time here BEFORE the first hand is dealt! Note the wall patch material sitting on one of the stools.

67y8ls432cxy.jpg

Home Depot had an insert patch kit and spray on texture just for such small areas. Patch like normal drywall then spray on the texture, wait until it just starts to dry and go over it with a flexible knife. Practicing on some old plywood out in the garage today, actually not so bad. Bad part is I'll probably end up repainting the entire room since that color was on the walls when we bought the house. May give the Home Depot color matching computer a try but not so much luck with that in the past.

The cabinets held up like champs through the ordeal. I lightly sanded the one that went into the wall and added another coat of clear and it turned out just fine.

Here's the one that did the nose dive into the wall.
    daklqdynlzok.jpg
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 863
    Options
    Very nice bar/poker setup! I love the blue lighting behind the booze.