lil help

pOP
pOP Posts: 23
edited May 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey,
I need a lil help on what to expect when i go get installation and parts.
My Two Polk mm124 subwoofers should be arriving soon(hopefully tomm.) Also i hope is coming tomm is are my Two Polk C300.2 amps. Currently i am driving a Dodge Durango. I need a lil help on what to expect when i got to a local sound place for installation. For example, decent prices on a dual sealed box, wires, labor....ect. Help me out cuz i really dont feel like getting riped of, cuz i know a lot or car audio guys charge way over what they should.
ThanX
-=KirK=-
Post edited by pOP on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited May 2004
    everything but maybe the box can be done yourself without any skill level at all...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • pOP
    pOP Posts: 23
    edited May 2004
    ya if the price at the audio place is to much my bro and i were gonna install it. but i dont know what like reasonable prices would be for like wires. and like what kind of wires i get.
    -=KirK=-
  • mrmatt
    mrmatt Posts: 16
    edited May 2004
    I'm going with almost same setup as you only with two 10's instead of the 12's - I am running 4 gauge to the back, into a distribution block, then 4 gauge to each amp, you could get by with 8 gauge to the amps if you wanted, 4 is better though. I would reccomend 16 guage or better speaker wire, I'm running 12.

Depending on where you go you can expect a 4 gauge kit to run about $50 - $80, around $30 for a distribtion block, maybe another $20 - $30 for wire from the distro to the amps and speaker wire.

Couple of options for getting the signal to the amp, you can either run RCA's into the first amp, then use the preout on that amp to the input of the second amp, or Y each side of the RCA so each amp gets signal without any loss between them. Depending on what the shop carries and what you want you might pay anywhere form $15 - $100 for an RCA cable.

Not really sure what pre-fab boxes run, $80 maybe?

Plus labor and anything else I'm leaving out. It's definatly a better bet (IMO) to do it yourself, I myself think thats half the fun, but some people hate installing so kinda up to you.

Prices I listed are just what I've kind of observed at some of the places around here, you might be able to do better depending on your shop.

• exalted512
    edited May 2004
    a plain carpeted box thats built to .88ft per chamber shouldnt run more than $110
    power/ground wire is going to run you about $60 from a shop
    speaker wire=$15
    rca=depends 20-120$$
    installation for the subs and amps around $175
    thats a lot of money for **** an amp down and putting wires in it...
    its not hard...id REALLY advise doing it yourself--i can take pics of how to do it...i dont have the exact same amp...but 2 channel amps are generally the same
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited May 2004
    cody - what is it for wires? www.knukonceptz.com?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited May 2004
    yup
    -Cody
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited May 2004
    If you have any wood working skills, I would go ahead and build the box yourself. If you just need a simple rectangular box, its a very simple process You would need:
    -1-2 sheets of MDF from the local Home Depot ($15-$19 generally a sheet)
    -Screws. I think I got a fairly huge box of screws for $10 (huge as in I'll probably never need to buy anymore for years to come)
    -Liquid nails is about $1-$2 a tube and you would probably need just one tube
    -Carpet. Just go to the local Walmart and see what carpeting is going for.
    -Spray glue. I believe this is less than $10 per can

If you have a jigsaw and electric drill, you'd be saving a lot of money. Just my opinion :)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited May 2004
    Anyone seen Vince in a while? Don't seem to hear much from him lately...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2