Netflix with Oppo 205

OPPO 205 does not have Netflix app, much to my chagrin,I liked that feature on earlier Oppos . I have a Samsung plasma that apparently is not smart, also using Pioneer Elite SC-27. GF gave me a spare Roku stick which I know nothing about. What the best method for getting Netflix thru the system? Thanks.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I believe you can plug the Roku into the Oppo's HDMI Input According to Oppo's info.

"HDMI 2.0 Input
    An HDMI 2.0 input port that supports UHD resolution is available for users to connect an external streaming device. This approach affords users the flexibility to choose from a wide range of streaming devices and easily upgrade as streaming technologies evolve, while still taking advantage of the UDP-205's audio and video processing capabilities."
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Awesome, I was hopeful of "taking advantage of the 205's audio and visual processing capabilities" in that manner. Lol. Thanks much!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Yeah, that method works great.

I have a Roku express hooked up to my 205 so that I can run my cable providers streaming app Incase I need to watch football in that room.

I use my “smart” TV to watch Netflix in that room though, since the TV is capable of streaming 4K content, the Roku express can’t.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    4K depends which model of the Roku stick you have. The newer ones will stream 4K content. Since it's a "spare" one, I assume it might be older and wouldn't do that, however.
  • I use a Roku stick in my 103 and I find:
    1.) it works better if you plug the Roku into an AC outlet, and
    2.) the sound is downgraded to stereo before it is passed to my AVR.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I think you have a legitimate excuse to get a new tv.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I think you have a legitimate excuse to get a new tv.

Yeah, I've thought about a new TV except the picture quality on the Samsung plasma is really dang sweet. The argument at the time of purchase was don't pay for a smart TV when you can get a Roku or Chromecast for a pittance. But then I had smart Oppos and I really liked that. One of the things I discovered with the 205 is it doesn't have those apps, although the other attributes that I use and will use in the future seemed to militate towards purchase of the 205, especially when I got the email saying I was cued up for purchase literally right at the last minute.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    This will work far better than the stick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B075XMZMWY/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

There is a refurb for $65 shipped.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer