Challenge: Polk SDA -vs_ Carver Sonic Holography

Well I got bored today and decided to pull some of my old Carver stuff out of the closet. I've heard good things about their C-1 pre and thought I'd do an A/B comparison between the SDA effect and the SH effect. Not sure how ideal this comparison was but this is how I did it.
Carver C-1 pre
B&K M200 monoblocks
Cambridge audio DVD99
SDA Effect: Polk SDA 1C w/800va Dreadnought
SH Effect: Polk SDA 1C no interconnect

Output without the SDA's interconnect made the output a little less dramatic so I would turn the volume up to similar levels.
Since I only have one set of good RCA IC's I used them between the pre and the amps. I would listen, eyes closed, to a track and try to point out particular moments where I could pinpoint a sound that was clearly outside the speakers then unhook my IC cable and turn on the Sonic Holography.

Sonic Holography employs, as far as I know, all drivers and tweeters for the effect. Imaging even though it was wide was not quite as wide as SDA and seemed more diluted. I think this was possibly due to it's use of the tweeter array and possibly due to the fact that the C-1's circuitry is over 30 years old.

One thing I have to note here is when using the C-1 in SDA mode this way it had excellent imaging for it's age. I imagine with a factory refresh it would be far better. Also it was dead quiet. turning the volume up as far as it would go and sticking my ear right up to the speakers displayed dead silence.

R.
Gustard X26 Pro DAC
Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,090
    edited February 2019
    Run them both together if you really want to have your eyes opened. All I can say is WOW! >:):*
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    It's like you're there.... :o

This experiment brings up a question I've been meaning to ask: as I understand it, when the IC is not employed, the SDA drivers become inactive. As such, the MWs then become additional PRs? If that's the case, wouldn't it stand to reason that the output would be dramatically different (read: bad)? Also, is there any way to "lock" the SDA drivers when the IC is disconnected?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Run them both together if you really want to have your eyes opened. All I can say is WOW! >:):*

Ok are you just f**king with me? I would think they would cancel each other out or muddy the crap out of everything...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    when you disconnect the sda cable, the sda drivers are doing pretty much nothing
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2019
    understood. They kinda turn into little PR's
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Also, is there any way to "lock" the SDA drivers when the IC is disconnected?

Gently tap the driver magnets with a hammer. tada! locked driver. ;):s

Sounds like a good test! I've wondered for a while how the sonic holography compares to SDA. Now I know! :)
    I have read that SH is less affected by room placement, whereas placement can make or break SDA. Is this true in your experience?
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Anyone have a link to explain the term “sonic holography?” I’ve not heard that term before. Thabks.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    stretchl wrote: »
    Anyone have a link to explain the term “sonic holography?” I’ve not heard that term before. Thabks.

http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=3471

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    FestYboy wrote: »
    It's like you're there.... :o

This experiment brings up a question I've been meaning to ask: as I understand it, when the IC is not employed, the SDA drivers become inactive. As such, the MWs then become additional PRs? If that's the case, wouldn't it stand to reason that the output would be dramatically different (read: bad)? Also, is there any way to "lock" the SDA drivers when the IC is disconnected?

I thought most if not all SDA speakers use the dimensional drivers as bass drivers all the time.
    Is there not a crossover like at 150 hz that gives bass sounds to those drivers whether or not they are cross connected with cable?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    All one needs to know is SH does not work as well as SDA.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• audioluvr
    F1nut wrote: »
    All one needs to know is SH does not work as well as SDA.

Bingo! Plus SH is really designed for speakers that have all their components lined up vertically so it's limited. Horn speakers don't work because they're all not on that plane.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    I have several C-1's and have tried this using one that I've completely rebuilt way beyond the typical "BillD" modification. All resistors changed to metal film, all capacitors upgraded, improved diodes, etc, etc, etc. Did this on a set of 3.1's because I figured the lower dimensional drive count would give a better comparison than on the 1.2's. Love my Carver stuff but pure SDA was the clear winner.

Back in college, the local AOR station (WKQQ-FM Lexington, KY) I later worked for used to have "Carver Sonic Holography Hour" every Friday night at 10:00pm. Could actually experience the effect on my old dorm rig. When I graduated, my first real purchase were Polk 2B's and a Carver set-up.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Interesting experiment. I too was SH curious such that I picked up a C-9. Plan is to try it out, eventually put it in the garage rig. I like the flexibility of being able to use any speaker, although generally proclaimed not as good as the SDA technology.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited February 2019
    SDA is not an effect. It tries to minimize a naturally occurring aural phenomenon using an acoustical method

Carver uses primitive electronic simulation (electronic effect).

Current SDA tech in the sound bars uses a combination of an algorithm and acoustic properties far more advanced than 30 year old Carver electronics.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • audioluvr
    heiney9 wrote: »
    SDA is not an effect. It tries to minimize a naturally occurring aural phenomenon using an acoustical method

Current SDA tech in the sound bars uses a combination of an algorithm and acoustic properties far more advanced than 30 year old Carver electronics.

H9

Uh... Yes! Exactly! (I think)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117

Totally agree with the comment but as I tell my younger wife, sometimes older and simple is all ya need.

I still like vinyl run through a combination of 12AX7/KT88 tubes which predates Carver SH by 30+ years. At least for the 12AX7, the 88 popped up in the mid-fifties if memory serves me correctly tonight. The crossover circuits in all our SDA's goes back to the beginning of electronic technology (albeit much improved components, still just inductor/capacitor/resistor/copper wire) and predates the transistor by years.

BTW, of my modified C-1 & C-4000t preamp collection, I only bothered to upgrade the phono and SH circuits in one of them. Been a long time since I pressed the engage button on any of 'em.

On the other hand, after reading the AQ cable shootout thread under another topic, I ran the digitized bits of Madsen's instrumental version of "Stairway to Heaven" stored on my Synology NAS into a Sabre 32-based DAC and solid state amplification then into the 1.2tl's via MIT Shotguns last night at an obscene volume level and drove both my kids to slam their doors. Technology marches on but I find joy in all of it.

Except microprocessor volume control -- must -- continue -- to--resist,
    and the cassette tape revival...let me quote Stephen King from his Pet Sematary, "Sometimes dead is better".....
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB