Power AC cords

Options
LuSh
LuSh Posts: 887
edited May 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Been thinkin about the GutWire G-clef, anybody have any experience with em? How marginal would the difference be between Gutwires baseline version in comparison to the Second one up?

The more and more I understand how hi-fi works the more and more I conclude that the power cord is probably more important to start with then any other cable or interconnect.

I'm going to a dealer this week, I'll find out soon enough but I just thought I'd give an opportunity for some feeback.
Post edited by LuSh on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Lush,

I've no experience with the Gutwire PC's, but firmly believe in PC upgrades. I've had great results with PS Audio Statement PC's.

F1
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Is there anything that can be done with the wire from the breaker box to the wall outlet? Obviously if it is a dedicated circuit that is best but is there anything else?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited May 2004
    Options
    Max,
    short of installing a dedicated line, I would think replacing the ac outlet receptacle with a hospital-grade would provide incremental benefit. I have the PS Audio outlet, as recommended by Jesse last year.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited May 2004
    Options
    If possible, plug directly into the outlet. Surge protectors will alter the performance.

It's obviously taking a bit of a risk, so ultimately it's a personal choice. I'm not in a lightning prone region so I don't worry about it at all.
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2004
    Options
    I've been looking at those ps outlets as well. One cool thing is that my power box is in the basement directly below where the equipment would plug in. I would only have a 2' run straight from the breaker to the outlet. I've been wondering if it matters if all the equipment is powered by the same phase? Any ideas?
    madmax

Oh yea, one thing a little more in line with the original thread. With different pieces of used equipment I bought came some aftermarket power cords. I forget what they are right now but since I have 3 of them I started moving them around between my preamp, CD player and DAC. I do not hear any improvement but I hear a difference. It is really freaky. What I did was listen to a particular sound and kept playing it over and over noting exactly where the sound was coming from and what it sounded like. As I moved the 3 cords around the sound, although the same, came from different places. Overall I could change the position of the sound by about 3' depending on which cord was where. I never expected that!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D