Ah, the stuff people say on Ebay...

Options
msg
msg Posts: 9,459
edited February 2019 in The Clubhouse
"Scuffs and scratches from normal use." Normal use? On a subwoofer?

nhcj719bhdfi.png

I disabled signatures.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    Options
    I use mine for a step stool, shows a little wear, ya know, normal use
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    As a cat scratching post maybe...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Normal use is like when the guy was describing cruel and unusual punishment: "It might be cruel but its not unusual!"
  • msg
    Options
    ha, "Yeah, it's damaged and looks like crap, and one of the diafraggums has a tear, but it's not that bad, for a subwoofer."
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I've seen so many speaker ads that say speakers sound great and they actually show pictures of the deteriated speaker surrounds.

There is an ad for Boston speakers now in my local CL. ad says they are perfect. BUT they don't show the speakers behind the grills. 100% of old Boston surrounds have deteriated like Cerwin Vegas have, I believe.

Anyway, I'm not going to waste the time and gas to go pull the grills off and say, "what's this?" Good price and a good project for somebody to re-foam though. ;) They might take 30.00. :)
    https://wilmington.craigslist.org/ele/d/wilmington-boston-hd7-bookshelf-speakers/6815864394.html
    chfmmirkecbm.png
    l8f2qb6j6g6k.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    No shots without the grills is almost always a guaranteed re-foam. Also love it when they say things like one corner slightly damaged, but is mostly hidden by the grill. Then proceed to show an out of focus shot of the damage & a picture with the grill on where the corner is cut off of the picture. That's what I like about our FM. Nobody would do that here. :|
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Options
    Years ago i saw some Cerwin Vega speakers for sale. Pictures looked great. I called the guy & asked him how the surrounds where. He said he wasnt sure. He took the grills off & told me they were great... I explained it was a concern of mine as they were known to go bad & for 300.00 & 120 miles to pick up-i wanted to make 100% sure... I jump in truck & drive like a mad man to get there... I get there to be greeted by a 25 or so young guy & walk in & they looked awesome. I pull off the grill & low & behold they are SHOT. I litterely yell WTF i slammed the grill down & walk to door to leave. He friggin knew it. Then he has the nads to say Do you want to buy them for less. I never said a word to him & when i left the gravel driveway i gave it some gas & i know i damaged his paint job on his chic car.
    Randy/Maine
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

I think people trying to get close up photos, with cell phones usually, do not realize they have limited focusing range.
  • boston1450
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Maybe everyone should take better pictures. I apologize to the forum if i was out of line. Carry On
    Randy/Maine
  • Tony M
    Options
    Maybe everyone should take better pictures. I apologize to the forum if i was out of line. Carry On

No problem! Was that 120 miles one way or round trip?

I know either way it sure was a WTH moment when the grill came off. >:)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Bad surrounds (onmost drivers -- not talkin' about subwoofers here with huge rolls of foam or whatever to allow ridiculous excursion) are no big deal, from my perspective & FWIW.
    In fact, I passed by some darned good loudspeaker opportunities at the good ol' Harvard, MA town dump before I learned that resurrounding loudpeaker drivers is pretty darned easy and inexpensive. :)

Ironically, the first pair of woofers I resurrounded were C-V!s, come to think of it. :)

24965305118_da1902ab9b_b.jpgCVR12 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • msg
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Years ago i saw some Cerwin Vega speakers for sale. Pictures looked great. I called the guy & asked him how the surrounds where. He said he wasnt sure. He took the grills off & told me they were great... I explained it was a concern of mine as they were known to go bad & for 300.00 & 120 miles to pick up-i wanted to make 100% sure... I jump in truck & drive like a mad man to get there... I get there to be greeted by a 25 or so young guy & walk in & they looked awesome. I pull off the grill & low & behold they are SHOT. I literally yell WTF i slammed the grill down & walk to door to leave. He friggin knew it. Then he has the nads to say Do you want to buy them for less. I never said a word to him & when i left the gravel driveway i gave it some gas & i know i damaged his paint job on his chic car.
    LOL, the world needs more of this, and people should be required to watch videos of Randy reacting to misrepresented listings before being allowed to post on sale sites.
    Are you sure they're mint?
    Are you sure you know how to pack a turntable for safe shipping?
    Cause here's what's gonna happen to you if you fib and just hope someone's not gonna notice OPEN SPACE BETWEEN A DRIVER CONE AND THE FRAME.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I tried to sell my wife on ebay with normal "wear and tear". I got sued until she killed cooked and ate the buyer. Good fortune still shines on me! Talk about a "win-win"!
  • msg
    Options
    I'd have to stipulate no takesies backsies. That's a legal term.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Tony M
    Options
    I threw away too many speakers and woofers in my life.

My first set re-foaming were Infinity's. They were RARE Classic VERY NICE BIG bookies that were only sold at one location in California. I had to LEARN how to fix those rare speakers for sure! They're MINTY :D:p too.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    I got 10 used toenail clippings if anybody is interested. We can use PM to avoid eBay fees.