sds srs 1.2s and sda srs 2.3s

Please tolerate my lack of ability to select properly the words, to communicate my dilemma. I have never done this before. I own a pair of 2.3s manufactured 1989 and purchased new. Driven by Aragon Iridium 400 watt mono blocks. Have a pair of 1.2s, 3rd owner, purchased last year. The speakers have correct driver numbers. Manufactured date shows '87 to '89. The 2.3s came with the 6513 drivers located at top and bottom of 4 in a row drivers, 6511s between those, and the 6503s beside that pair, and 3 SL2000 tweeters. My 1.2's came with 4 SL 2000 tweeters, between 2 rows of 4 6503s. I need 4 6511s. The most recent option for replacement is 6503s and no more stock from polk and 9 month wait for a 6503 replacement option. I purchased 8 new replacement tweeters from polk. At the same time, I thought I heard him check the stock and found 6511s, but drivers had no ID on them, but the d'nut, ring my bell, speaks I have purchased the last 8 doughnut 6513s. Since 6503s are not available, considering if pairing up 4, 6513s to go in 1.2s and use the 6503s in the 2.3s. Aware crossovers may have different signals. Would difference be noticeable? Any risk in damaging 4 of last 8 6513s? I know I can just try and listen. Will gladly assist anyone needing good cheap SL2000 replacent tweeters and last of stock 6513s. Should I listen to great sounding 1.2s and purchase 6511s or 6503s as available on the web? Thanks for going easy on me. Clay

Best Answers

• corioliseffect
    corioliseffect Posts: 5
    Answer ✓
    I agree. Just thought I might get another. Really appreciate your time. I found all in a set of the drivers in a very good set of sda speakers. I was a day late. Will donate doughnuts not used to a person needing them. 4 needed for mine. I have 4 nice new amps, though previous Palladiums did well. I can't shoot now and can't find new speakers out performing the vintage SDA's for a reasonable price. The new amps were ordered directly from Aragon. They were 29k, but insurance covered apples to apples. No questions. No one should buy amps with soot inside. The are a health hazard and possible fire. Soot no matter how little degrades electrical components. JC1's were plugged in outside and popped capacitors.

FYI Richard at Parasound said it would happen. They were in short supply, or I would have used Aragons and JCIs in the after fire system. True 2 channel systems are vintage only, but returning. Sorry for complaining readers. Thanks for reading F1nut.

Clay
  • corioliseffect
    corioliseffect Posts: 5
    Answer ✓
    Hi FestYboy, yes we must speak. It's quite rare for one to give anymore. Send your information on who and where to ship. I will enclose a check for a fair amount for your effort and return lable. You may reach me at 404-307-6363. If I fail to pick up, please send a text msg., and I will call you. I am thankful you read, and desired to help lift my burden knowing me not. I once, before becoming sick, earned more than I needed, and gave more than I can now. There is much joy in lifting burdens of others. You speak with a giving spirit. I desire to fairly compensate you. I will be waiting to hear from you. Few have lifted my burdens. Many fewer have at their expense. I lack the vocabulary to express my gratitude. Clay

Answers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Why do you want new drivers?

Your 1.2's are actually the SDA SRS, with all MW6503 drivers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hi F1nut,

Thanks for responding. The house burned. Smoke damage only. 2.3s cleaned up, butt will deteriorate. I was lifting last amp to its home 6ft off the floor. Climbing down, my right steel knee locked up. One new to me 1.2 fell. Locked up four drivers and 2 tweeters lost magnets. Rreplaced all tweeters. Used drivers out of 2.3s to make sure no other damage. I need 4 replacement drivers to bring 2.3s up working. Can't find all new. I was wondering about using the 6513s, doughnut drivers temporarily until others are available. I think it would raise bass too high, but sound fine until others are available. I could just wait.

If you can just call me. Left hand has paralysis. Cell 404-307-6363. Nocorioliseffect or Clay.

Thanks for reading it.
  • F1Nut,

I knew the speakers were SDA SRS and MW6503s were correct. Forgive me for leading the reader to assume SDA SRS preceded both models were. Also I did the same with MW preceding driver numbers. In lines 10 and 11 I referred to a row of 4 SL 2000 tweeters split 2 rows of 4, 6503s. Sorry my assumption lead to confusion. My mistake. Appreciate and value your knowledge and input. please forgive me in all sincerity. I asked for it and you gave it. Thank you very much.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    No worries. I hope you get them up and pumping again soon.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk