Need some advice universal disc players

Options
Ok, my Denon DVD-2910 is no longer working. Big surprise right? :s

So I'm looking for a Bluray player (4k not needed) to replace my Samsung BDF7500 (not a bad player by any means for video)and my Denon 2910 in one player.

I do watch some bluray in 3D. I'd need digital outs coax and fiber optic for a stand alone dac.

I want to be able to play SACD and DVD-Audio disc as well as HDCDs.

The emphasis on this gear would be its audio quality for hi res over digital out. So the onboard DAC is not crucial.

Budget of $160.00 for a used item.

I have been looking at Pioneer Elite, Marantz and possible Cambridge. Oppo seem out of my budget.

I do favor gear that is usually described as "warm" sounding.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    You're not getting much if anything on that budget.
    Good luck
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited February 2019
    Options
    That's a tall order for short $$. I do like my Cambridge Better than my Oppo for music. They probably are the same for movies but I wouldn't know, I gots ADD and don't see the movies that I watch. Oh, I do have a couple of Sony BR players that do SACD that would be in your price range but no DVD-A or HDCD.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Looks like this may fit the bill. Prices are good on Ebay. Nonoptic though. I guess I could live without. Just wanted to be able to use my AQ fiber.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/BDP-62FD
  • afterburnt
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    Looks like this may fit the bill. Prices are good on Ebay. Nonoptic though. I guess I could live without. Just wanted to be able to use my AQ fiber.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-Blu-ray-Disc-Players/BDP-62FD

HDCD too?
  • CH46E
    Options
    Ah crap.... I'm not sure. I only have a few anyways. More SACD and DVD Audios.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @CH46E I have a lot more than I knew. I asked here out of curiosity what "HDCD" was and did some research. I have at least a couple of dozen so they got dug out of the catacombs so I can spin them from time to time. The folks here said that a "bit perfect" rip will pick up the HDCD encoding on a so equipped player but I never much paid attention if they in fact did. BTW nice chopper ya got there, do you have a ma deuce on the ramp?
  • CH46E
    Options
    Where did you see a chopper? Lol. Just the name right?

We had 240's mounted on the aft ramp and a maw deuce on each side. It was a blast for sure!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    @CH46E In your avatar. I see like Apocalypse Now sequences every time that I look at it, but I am pretty sure that's just me lol. Oh yeah, I hear Jim Morrison too but it's "Road House Blues" playing, go figure...

Back to unreality, I kind of look at those formats as "priceless" as they ain't making em anymore except for Steve Wilson and DVD-A and devices that play them.
  • CH46E
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes, some of them are getting very expensive. I keep an eye on Ebay for certain albums.

I dont think it's made, but I'd love to get Steve Winwood Back in the High Life Again on SACD or DVD-A. I think that album on CD was one of the best studio mixes. So clean and clear.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,339
    Options
    Did the Denon DVD-2910 stop recognizing discs? Mine did that and was getting worse. I replaced the optical pick-up and all is good. They aren't too difficult to replace but aligning can be tricky.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • CH46E
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Its hit and miss. I've been testing some interconnects ran from it and it has been ok. We will see.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    skrol wrote: »
    Did the Denon DVD-2910 stop recognizing discs? Mine did that and was getting worse. I replaced the optical pick-up and all is good. They aren't too difficult to replace but aligning can be tricky.

My 3910 is that way. It recognizes SACD/DVD-A just fine but CD's are troublesome. I had seen the lasers were cheap Hitachi's iirc. Interested in this skrol. I've never been inside a 2910 so i can't comment on its loading mechanism, but my 2900 and 3910 look to be pretty involving and complicated. At this point I have nothing to lose if it works super off to one of my sons. If not well learning experience :p:p
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yamaha AVENTAGE BD-A1040 or newer. I really like mine. Does SACD DVDA networking etc. Sounds great to me...you can probably find a used one in your budget.

Or maybe this older 1010 version. No WiFi, but still does SACD DVDA and does have a multichannel analog out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-BD-A1010BL-3D-Blu-Ray-Player/223276596392?epid=114277193&hash=item33fc527ca8:g:~EgAAOSwPVFcDGYu&thm=3000
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • CH46E
    Options
    That would match well with my rxa1050 Aventage.