Snowmobile.....What

boston1450
boston1450 Posts: 7,438
edited February 2019 in The Clubhouse
So today i drove a snowmobile for the 1st time ever. I have lived in Maine 55 years+ & at 5 years old i rode on the back with the neighbor as a vivid memory 50 years ago. FIFTY years ago "oh my"... I have had NO interest in snowmobiles. Im a biker & i live to fish... So tonight my friend who has 2 Yamaha gorgeous 1000cc snowmobile takes one out & starts the thing up. He then shots down his 400ft driveway. Im like No $hit. He gets back & tells me to take it for a spin. I studdard what. He jumps off & i get on & i give it to a - to the Yammy which has 2 pipes/1 on each side & sounds mean & i fly down the driveway. Then i shot across his 4 acre field in front of his house. I then shot past where he is standing laughing & im flying & my hat flys off & im rip'n it - to the rear part of his property where it enters trails that go all over zillion acres of Northern Maine to Canada. It was super fun & i went kinda fast & it was only 15 mins & it probably wasnt fast to some-but it made me smile :) & as dark was coming on. I think this coastal boy is getting a sled for next winta. It was SUPER fun.I had a great day. That was yesterday as im still up. Have a great day all
Randy/Maine
Post edited by boston1450 on

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2019
    Wait until June or so and buy used. You can score some really nice deals going used, and 1500 or less will go far when nobody wants to store them for the summer. Of course, you could always take advantage of the powder now.

https://maine.craigslist.org/snw/d/standish-1998-arctic-cat-zl-500/6809266287.html
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    Agree. I see them listed cheap. I was afraid of mileage on them & breakdowns. But Phil said his has 8000 miles on it & not to worry. Just maintain them well
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    I messed up it was a 1000cc Yamaha blue with a tank bag. It was starting to get dark to take picture
    Randy/Maine
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2019
    Of all my childhood memories, being on my El Tigre 6000 was among the best. I used to ride it to school in the winter, or to work. Everywhere you could want to go was wide open pretty much back then. Just make sure you know where the barbed-wire fences are. Sleds and barbed-wire do not go together well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Snow machines are tons 'o fun . . .

Be very careful. It's very easy to misjudge when you're going fast.

Just remember, trees are not forgiving. Even the smallest of 'em
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • boston1450
    Agree. I dont want to die quite yet.... Phil mentioned i could rent a sled by the day & we could go to Millinocket Maine (40 mins by vehicle) where Baxter State Park is & we could sled to there & have dinner & keep going to points unknown to me. But im not sure im ready for that yet. I have no special gear or helmet. Im not ready to do 60 to 100mph on trails yet (most ITS trails are like highways thru the woods) & i dont wanna get run over. This may be a good idea to see if i like the shorter rides before i go on longer rides OR i buy a sled. I also dont want to break down & have to walk 10+ miles in the snow
    Randy/Maine
  • nooshinjohn
    A usd sled is your ticket here. Get it in the spring and take it apart, clean it up and get to know it like you would a motorcycle during the winter. Then you can go out with som e confidence in the machine and your ability to know what to do if there is a breakdown. We used to take ours apart like that all the time, but those were the days when they were nowhere near as complex as they are now.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2019
    Use to drive a Scorpion 440 Super Stinger, and a Scorpion 340 Whip. Drove across the lakes and down the snowmobile trails to school, after school we all had quite the good times. There were friends with Mercury Snow Twisters, John Deere Liquifiers, Ski Doo Blizzards, Polaris Chargers, Yamaha EX 340s. Then there were the Artic Cat guys we had to slow down for so they could keep up. Growing up in a northern Minnesota, snowmobiles were pretty popular, at times snowmobiles outnumbered vehicles in the school parking lot.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • boston1450
    Thanks for the tips guys. Ive been browsing used ones at good prices & i think if i wait it out till May when snow season is over i may do well picking one out @ a decent price. I will have Phil go with me to look at one-as he is very good with sleds. I have a small utility trailer with a ramp & can leave it on it year round. If n when i get one i will update thread with pictures & info. Thanks again & bsafe this winter
    Randy/Maine
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    For about 10 yrs I rode a Ski Doo Grand Touring 583 (two-up). Lots of good times, that's for sure.
    But alas, my body can't handle the cold like it once did. But on the brighter side, they've got heated gear now! Supposed to work good, too!

I think I'm get'n an itch . . .

boston1450 wrote: »
    I have a small utility trailer with a ramp & can leave it on it year round. If n when i get one i will update thread with pictures & info. Thanks again & bsafe this winter

Best bet is to store the trailer indoors. Even with a custom fitted cover, shizzle will get into every nook 'n cranny. So will insects, mice etc.
    If you buy a cover, make sure it's UV rated (and still don't leave it in the summer sun). I've not had good experiences with older UV rated covers

Happy shopping!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • dago
    dago Posts: 38
    GlennDog wrote: »

Being a biker, he knows what speed will do to him, or recklessness. My main advice would be to stay away from frozen lakes.

I've seen way too many bury their sleds on a lake, especially ones fed by underground springs that create warmer water in certain parts....and thinner ice.
  • boston1450
    For about 10 yrs I rode a Ski Doo Grand Touring 583 (two-up). Lots of good times, that's for sure.
    But alas, my body can't handle the cold like it once did. But on the brighter side, they've got heated gear now! Supposed to work good, too!

I think I'm get'n an itch . . .

boston1450 wrote: »
    I have a small utility trailer with a ramp & can leave it on it year round. If n when i get one i will update thread with pictures & info. Thanks again & bsafe this winter

Best bet is to store the trailer indoors. Even with a custom fitted cover, shizzle will get into every nook 'n cranny. So will insects, mice etc.
    If you buy a cover, make sure it's UV rated (and still don't leave it in the summer sun). I've not had good experiences with older UV rated covers

Happy shopping!

Would just use trailer to bring it home until i could get a enclosed trailer OR put machine in building when not on trailer --- Yes on the UV rated covers. Northern Maine is hotter than the coast. Potato fields HOT. If i dont stay at camp this summer it would go inside & covered. I see some great prices local on Craigslist too & with enclosed trailers. I just havent made up mind on a sled or a 4 wheeler purchase. 4 wheeler can be used year round.
    Randy/Maine
  • nooshinjohn
    edited February 2019
    Do one of each... problem solved. Every man should have the proper tool for the job at hand.

• boston1450
    dago wrote: »

Being a biker, he knows what speed will do to him, or recklessness. My main advice would be to stay away from frozen lakes.

I've seen way too many bury their sleds on a lake, especially ones fed by underground springs that create warmer water in certain parts....and thinner ice.

Agree. But i can be numb & i like beer :) & having fun
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Do one of each... problem solved. Every man should have the proper tool for the job at hand.

Thats my plan John. I havent made too many decissions since my divorce. I dont want to make the wrong one. 2.5 years single svcks. The camp land was cheap & i still have ties on the coast. I may be heading back. Im home sick
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Btw. Phil went out & bought another 1300 sled last night. I pulled in today & he owns 2 sleds. One red (his daughter wrecked) & his blue one.... I pull in & there is 2 blue ones & i had to scratch my head. Here is the 2 Yamaha 1300's... I thought i took pics of wrecked one But i musta hit wrong button
    Randy/Maine