SRS 1.2 amp upgrade

Hey guys, I've owned a pair of SRS 1.2s for about a year and have had them underpowered up till now with a Pioneer SX 1250...the combination is very musical but the speakers aren't revealing all they have to give.
Unfortunately, that rig is at our summer place so I don't get to hear them much...it's not by choice, believe me, but it's the right room for them (25'x32'). So here's the deal...I have two amps to decide between, a classic Hafler DH500 (255 wpc) and a more modern Musical Fidelity A308cr (250 wpc) and, before I get to actually test-drive them, I wanted to ask the knowledgeable people here what they think the better match will be...no right or wrong, just wondering what you guys think will will work the best! Cheers and thanks!

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited February 2019
    Musical Fidelity all day long and twice on Sunday. I don't have that pairing, but The amp itself is a great piece. Upgrading the speakers with new crossovers and tweeters is a must as well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The MF without a doubt, but it is dual mono, so you will need to use the AI-1 or Dreadnought isolation transformer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    What he said...^^^^^^ +100.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Thanks, guys. No question the MF is brilliant and it has to be the choice but I asked because I'm blown away by the Hafler as well...I have switched the two back and forth in a rig with SDA 1Cs (switching with Dali Zensor 3s for comparison and because the room is too small for the 1Cs to show well), PS Audio gain cell dac, Technics 1200 and Clear Day double shotgun cables. The sound is way better than I expected but surprisingly there isn't as much separation in SQ between the two as I expected. I guess there's no choice but to take a weekend trying them both and seeing how good those old speakers sound with the right power pushing them! I'll let you know how it goes...
    And yes to the new crossovers and tweeters, that's the next project...that and upgrading the Hafler...it's too good to just sit around collecting dust.
    Thanks for your help on this. Cheers!