LSiM 703 woofer polarity

I did this test a while go and posted about it in the PMC thread but it got buried. Hoping to get some more thoughts opinion on why this happened.

Basically I was just doing some basic troubleshooting with my speakers, and testing the woofer's polarity via the bottom set of binding posts using a AAA battery and a short piece of speaker wire.

When I tested the 703s, with the negative binding post attached to battery's negative terminal, and positive post attached to the positive terminal, it caused the woofer to move inward.

Does this mean that the woofer's polarity on both of my 703s is reversed? Or is there something else going on inside the crossover that would cause this? That's a somewhat strange question, as I thought it was fairly straightforward that the bottom set of binding posts only goes to the woofer, right?

Anyway, if anyone has any insight on why the woofer moved in instead of out I would be curious to hear it.
  • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."

Comments

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 1,754
    Beyond my skills in audio.
    2ch: PS Audio Stellar Gain pre, 4 x Linn LK240 monoblocks ( bi-amping) Elac Adante AF-61's, SVS SB16 Ultra Subwoofer, Cambridge Audio CXN v2, Rega Planar 2 with Canaro 2 subplatter, dual belt pulley and upgraded bearing, Rega Ania MC cart, Vincent PHO 701 Phono pre with Mullard NOS 12au7, Audioquest Niagara 1000, AQ Thunder, AQ red river XLR's and Victoria IC's, Wireworld Stratus and Aurora power cables, Atlas EOS power cable, Denon 2910 (as transport) Sony CPD355 Jukebox cd

5.1: Marantz sr5003 (feeding mains through HT bypass) Sonus Faber solo center, AQ Carbon HDMI's, Sony XBRx900E, Xbox One S as 4k player, Definitive Technology SM350's surrounds, Tivo Bolt, Harmony Elite remote

Other gear: Totem Rainmakers (not hooked up) Sonos play 5 and play 1's x 2, Audio Technica TT and Edifier active speakers in kids room, JVC XM448 minidisc rack mount, Sony minidisc walkman, Project Debut III (currently not working), Samsung 46, and 2 x32" tvs, Samsung Soundbar, Okki Nokki LP cleaner, Second Harmony remote setup for bedroom, etc etc
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,282
    edited February 5
    I believe the woofer is wired out of phase because of crossover. Pretty sure there is a thread somewhere.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,652
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."